ajl

being physically close to someone

I was wondering if anyone else struggles with being touched / having someone too close to you.

I have a lovely boyfriend but I hate it when he touches or strokes me, I find myself thinking please just don't touch me. I hate being touched or hugged by anyone and was wondering if it was a me thing or an AS thing.

Having have to have shared a bed with him for three nights I have had not been able to sleep and am totally exhausted.

I also hate it when people kiss me, I feel suffocated and just want to get as far away as possible, even if I like and know that person.

Is there a way of dealing with it all. I used to be able to tolerate the above but since my diagnosis this year my head doesn't seem to think of anything other than why should I struggle when its not me is my aspergers.

It really is very much an Aspie thing. I'm the same, and so is my best friend, and I know others too who don't like it. We're asexual too and I'm sure our sensory issues have a lot to do with that. I tolerate hugs but I don't enjoy them, especially tight, long ones! It's a relief when they're over with. As for kissing - eurrrgh! :o

There are books on aspergers and sensory issues which might be able to help.

I have similar problem. In my own family we rarely hug each other when we meet. I recall at my twin brother's funeral I broke down and my sister's didn't know how to console me we were not used to bodily contact, or maybe they felt I wasnt?

Strange thing my ex girlfriend in my last relationship ten years ago asked me rec bt key in an email, on our first night together, the next day I hardly said a word or touched her. She found that strange and rude and felt like I did really like her. I had no recollection. She also said she found it weird sharing same bed with a man and never getting intimate in over two years.