Adegian

Low level aspergers 17 year old needs friends

Hi, my son diagnosed with mild aspergers whilst at secondary school. He now studies airport operations at college, but struggles to make friends.

Personally, I think he's marvellous, but to people his own age, he is quite different. He does what he wants! He's not shy, he doesn't care what people think and looking cool is not a priority! He is lovely, warm, funny and chatty,although he can be judgemental and takes things too literally most times.

Does anyone know of any london groups he might be able to go to, to meet friends? He would be very supportive others too.

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I've just finished reading "Living Well on the Spectrum" by Valerie Gaus. It's a very practical book, with worksheets designed to help identify the things that cause the biggest problems, and work out ways to deal with them. Making friends, and getting on with people at college and work, is covered extensively. I'm about to start working through the process suggested to see if it works for me, and it may well be useful to your son.

There is an autism events calendar at http://www.autangel.org.uk/autevents.htmlThe person who manages the website is, I believe, based in London, and there are a few London based events that may be of interest. I'm not sure about age limits, but if you (or your son) were to enquire with organisers of any activities of interest, you will presumably get a firm answer on that.

Hey confused traveller

Long time no speak

Glad to hearcyou still doing your research

Hope it works out for you