NathanPJ

Asperger's Assessment

Hi

Quick question. Hope you can help.

If a person with Asperger's can learn, over time, to act like a neuro-typical, to the point they can no longer be diagnosed with Autism, especially as an adult, then what methods are used to diagnose adults with Asperger's other than standard Autism tests?

I understand this is more relevant for women with Asperger's than men.

Many thanks for any input.

Nathan

In 60 years, only two people have commented on how I might have Aspergers. One was someone I met about 7 years ago, who has a friend with it, and the other was the mental health nurse who started the ball rolling for my assessment. At the beginning of next month I'll find out if the process used in my part of Wales actually works. Despite being male, I must have learned to hide it pretty well in all that time!

Thanks for your reply. Your example highlights my question.

I imagine you would probably not be diagnosed for autism, as, by your age you have probably learnt to adapt very well and "hide" your condition. So, if my thinking is correct, you will not be diagnosed as being within the Austism Spectrum, so you will not be diagnosed as having Asperger's, but you could still have Asperger's.

Sounds odd, but that's how I currently understand the situation. I may be wrong.

I would be very interested in hearing any feedback from your experience of assessment.

Best

Nathan

In my corner of Wales, the system has been set up specifically to deal with adults and late diagnosis. According to the person who did my Pre Diagnostic Counselling, only one person who has gone through the process hasn't got a diagnosis. Having had two sessions with the psychologist, I'm less sure what the outcome will be, as I couldn't answer most of the questions about my childhood. There are only two people still alive, who are both in their early 80s, who knew me when I was little, and I don't know if they will remember anything useful if they're asked. The counsellor told me that that they only ask them if the results are inconclusive, so they seem to appreciate that it's one of the problems with late diagnosis. The psychologist didn't give much away, but he has to spend some time working through his notes, ticking boxes, and calculating a score. Then it's discussed by a panel of experts.

I'm pretty sure that people of my age are being diagnosed as being on the spectrum, otherwise why would they waste scarce resources on it? The question is whether I tick the right boxes, and what happens if I don't.