Sign in to follow this  
UkCunningham

Confusion over diagnosis

First post, and looking for some helpful advice.
I was first diagnosed with Aspergers at age 9, in 2008. I was diagnosed in a rather traumatic period of time, following a close bereavement, and have gone on to live a normal life. I gained good GCSE grades, and now at 17 board at a 6th form college, taking 4 strong A-levels, including a foreign language. I have a larger than average social-group, a long-term girlfriend, and hopes and plans for the future. The diagnosis I was given at age 9 has caused problems for me, to say the least. I feel that the diagnosis was wrong, as I no longer show any of the traits, if not the opposite of those commonly seen. I am considering trying to get re-diagnosed, or un-diagnosed, and wondered if that was the best route, or if there were others, and how I would go about them.
Thanks!

In what way do you think the diagnosis is causing you problems? Surely if it is not helpful to you you can just ignore it. I am not sure there are any situations in which you would have to divulge it to anyone or that it would disadvantage you if yo did.

ASD diagnosis is not really black or white - it is about the degree in which you have certain aspects of personality and behaviour that are common in many of the population and when these get above certain arbitrary limits you get the label ASD. To some extent our social behaviour is a combination of instinct and learned behaviour. I think bright people can learn more to compensate for areas that don't come naturally, the same way we all do in many aspects of our life. So it seems to me that a child who at the age of 6-10 may show symptoms capable of being diagnosed as ASD can develop in such a way that they would not be diagnosed as such once more mature.

There is no reason why you cannot be reassessed now but I don't know that you will be able to get ti done on the NHS. You would need to find a private clinical psychologist and ask them to run the diagnostic tests (educational psychologists and speach and language therapists can also do many of the tests).

Its great that symptoms currently appear absent or well managed. Hope it stays that way!

Do be wary though that at times of untoward / prolonged stress symptoms can come back.

Also with increasing age and confidence it possible to subconsciously stop managing symptoms as you feel you've left it all behind .... which can create problems later on in life if/when they reoccur during difficult periods (hence late life diagnosis for some)

Your GP should advise regarding re-evaulating the original diagnosis but do be aware that stress tends to bring it out and you still have a long and unpredictable life ahead