dekaspace

Why has autism got a lack of sympathy especially in this politically correct world?

I often get angry at the way people treat me, even if I mention autism it in fact makes things worse as they either accuse you of lying or still treat you like a "normal" person as if it is just a label.

As in the context I mention I have noisy neighbours who have kids, do diy, and wake me up as early as 7am and they complain if I make any noise after 7pm.

Further context is that they say as they have kids its impossible to keep to a routine so they can't stop them playing at 7am, yet as I am an adult any noise I make can be controlled and further to that any potential noise such as me using washing machine or hoover can be done earlier in the day (regardless of the fact I could be at work)

This isn't them saying that its when I asked about what kind of noise level is acceptable to have around neighbours and people basically made out that noise kids make is acceptable, but no matter what I did was never tolerable, I had to conform to no noise after 7pm and accept noise from them 24/7 and any thing from me was unreasonable.

I can adjust the argument for things such as political correctness, I make a innocent comment with no malice and even be careful what I say and someone will take offense and then play the sexism/racism/homophobia card (disregarding things like me personally being bisexual, foreign grandparents and had gender identity issues in the past) but people find some way to snap and if again I mention the autism they say its no excuse.

So people play a card of their own and a genuine thing I have is never even noticed.

I can totally understand. My most recent one was I away with a NT karate team at a major international competition. The team managers and coaches know I am on the autistic spectrum. I said several times in advance I wouldn't be able to cope with the opening ceremony and asked if I could just not go to that bit. I was told I had to go. Then when i didn't cope and had to removed the coaches got really annoyed with me saying I spoilt it for them. Even to the level where the assisstant coach said 'if you can't cope with this, why do you think you can cope with the competition?' And saying that if I'm going to be trouble they won't take me again. I know I can manage fine when I'm actually competiting - thats why I got picked. Oh and the same person said 'you just have to learn how to get over it'.

I've heard all sorts of really unacceptable comments at far more than just this event.

I think it all comes down to lack of understanding and lack of willingness to understand. Because we appear 'normal', people don't accept when we don't behave like other adults.

I know the feeling unfortunately. You can make noise after 7pm until 11pm by law. Outside of those times is considered noise pollution. Your neighbours are behaving unreasonably.