fade

Learning to interact with people

I'm now 35 and I haven't really communicated with people face to face other than my parents since I was a kid. Over the past few years I've been trying to fix this.

So far, I can say "morning" or something equivalent to strangers if they say morning to me first. And with a bit of preparation, I can manage simple, brief conversations in shops to get what I need, most of the time. I can speak to doctors if I'm prepared. Talk to bus drivers so I can get where I want to go, etc... None of this happened over night, and took small steps, but I'm mostly there.

Unprepared I can handle < 20 second talks before things start getting difficult. Prepared and on a good day, I can handle up to a few minutes. It's more than I could handle two years ago before I started trying to fix my life.

I'm trying to improve this, but I can't really see any way to go further, no obvious small next step to take.

Any suggestions, tips or anything that may help?

Welcome

I can't tell from your post what area of the uk you are in?

I find asperger social groups are better for me than mainstream activities.

Hi fade, I just wanted to say you sound so much like my eldest son who is 31 and has not been diagnosed for ASD or Aspergers, but I do feel he is on the spectrum, but I haven't brought this up with him. He has problems interacting with people, he hasn't any friends, and all his says at work is 'Good morning' and 'Good night' that's it. I agree with Trekster, an Asperger group sounds ideal. I hope you contact the one that he mentioned. I think you are doing well, it will take time but I'm sure you will get there especially with the help of the group. Please keep us updated. I wish you well.