Sign in to follow this  
Silvertongue

Are we superior??

Just because we are not neurotypical, this doesnt mean that we should be treated unequally to everyone else, which is happening across society. Because we are in the minority, we are treated as inferior by everyone else, and I feel that we are in fact superior in several aspects to other people, therefore we should take action to gain equality! Any ideas??

Edited by Silvertongue

As ASDers,we are not superior humans,we are different,but different is not equal to superior.

When belief of superiority is given free reign,groups like the black panthers and Combat 18

exist,I personally believe superiority of any kind is a delusional state of mind,it does not exist,there can be no better human,we're all made of the same thing,with the exception of our differences.

:thumbs:

Again, well said.

I read somewhere "while some think they're better, a LOT are thought of as worse."

Edited by ~Jonathan~

Silvertongue

If everyone else feels that they are superior to us, then why cant we suggest that we are superior to them??

The problem is not that judgements about who is superior to who are being made incorrectly, the problem is that these judgements should not be made at all.

Simon

Isn't it tantamount to discrimination? This is the very thing that concerns me most about my son's future. Why are people so judgemental? I'm overweight and get judged for that, my son has autism and gets judged for that, my father-in-law swears a LOT and gets judged for that (but doesn't seem to care!), this society is all about judgement and I wish I could change that.

As much as I try NOT to judge, it is hard sometimes. I saw a mum in tesco's a few weeks ago, smacking her child a LOT, and HARD - I was mortified and instantly judged her. My thoughts as a mother with an autistic child was that maybe her son wasn't being really naughty, but could be autistic, or he could just be very naughty, or he could have ADHD, or she could be a bad mother - not my place to know or decide but I DID judge her and I hated myself for that. :fight:

Truly, I think if there IS a way to be superior, it is brought about by NOT being judgemental. Its a tough one though ;)

i do agree with you, but it will never be. humans are meant to treat each other differntly unjust as it is.

I heard something wonderful on the tv the other day, a Mum was talking about her kids and she said "I love them all equally yet differently as they each have something that's their own which they bring to the world" and that's how I feel about people. There are people that I don't or won't like but that doesn't mean I have the right to treat them as lesser. I believe we are all equal just different in our own ways.

Hello, Silvertonque,

I have no ideas as to action, but I have written an article

'Asperger - an outstanding personality'. It is on the forum.

I like to focus on the brilliant aspects of the asperger personality. :)

Judgement is necessary to the human condition as it's a symptom of self-awarness. A person needs to use Ideal/Comparison to have an opinion about themselves, which means that they have to form opinions about others.

A person who has lived in the wilds all their life will define themselves in relative to what they have to compare with. They may think that faster animals are superior while plants and slow animals are not.

The Ideal/Comparison works in absolutes, every person has to be judgemental of everything in their enviroment. A person who criticises another for being judgemental often doesn't notice the irony that they're doing it themselves.

I have nothing against people judging me, I just want it to be accurate and fair. A person can tell me more about themselves than about me when they give me an opinion like that. I know that as soon as someone uses the phrase "You're comparing apples to oranges" to dismiss something I've just said, they're a ###### idiot(this over-used metaphor can be used to dismiss just about anything, but it doesn't explain how).

I want hate preachers and facists to have full freedom of speech: no one would know of such people if they didn't, but they would still exist. Best to have them where I can see them.

The idea that Autistics are superior is not new, there are many who have read to much Nietche(hence the pathological delusion that a person can do anything being called the Nietche Superman Complex). It is always in response to the perception that most NTs an Autistic comes in contact with believe they are superior(and they say Autistics have difficulty picking up body langauge and subtle cues), it becomes obvious as any NT seems to quickly work out what makes the Autistic uncomfortable and then exploits it for advantage.

The problem is that (usually Aspies do it, those with the Kanner diagnosis tend to just withdraw)) the response is to throw the logic that Autistics thrive on away as NTs in real-time situations show themselves repeatedly to be impervious to it. They then opt for the visual pendulum strategy that this can be countered by working in exact opposition to it to produce an even medium. Two facist opposites don't make a democracy however and never did(and if anyone says that apples and oranges thing I'll kick them).

It is still difficult to show a person with an erroneous sense of superiority the error of it. They will have an answer for everything and pointing out the discrepencies will lead to accusations of being pendantic. They will have such beliefs because they are in real-time position to have them. It's easy to criticise people for anything as long as it can't be applied to you.

It would not be suprising how quickly some attitudes to Autistic people change when their boss gets a diagnosis however. Anyone forcing eye-contact after repeated requests to stop can be met with "You're fired". An Autistic would not seem so inferior then.

I often find that a convincing lie works. It is true that there is a general taboo among Autistics against virtually all dishonesty. I even used to think all fictional novels should be burned because they weren't true. But the shame is that all Autistics have to decieve as a matter of personal survival; we have to constantly pretend to be someone else because if we relax in public bad things happen. When faced with someone dangerously close to the lines of "You have a defect, I don't", I ask them what they do with their life, then tell them that I don't do anything really: I'm a millionaire and I don't really know what to do next. I inform them that I became rich from an obscure enterprise which I only worked in for a short time but had always had an interest in, I made a breakthrough and got rich off it.

I was inspired by my old school teacher telling me that a guy invented something to tell how long an egg should be boiled for, it was just a piece of 'V' shaped plastic, then he retired because despite it's simplicity no one else had thought of it.

I've spent my whole life acting non-Autistic, pretending to be a scruffy rich guy is a walk in the park. This only stops someone from being snooty to me though, there are plenty who then use the cop-out "Well very few with Autism achieve what you have", which they has no way of actually knowing as they haven't met all Autistics to determine this.

I intend to watch Michael Beurke on Don't Get Me Started on Tuesday. He has been misquoted and misrepresented a lot over the past weeks in run up to this programme, none of the criticism has addressed what he says head-on. He shares his views that society has tipped too far toward femine values in the realm of ideas and everyone will suffer for it. Responses from some included "Men still get paid up to a third more than women" without specifying in which area of employment and missing Beurke's point.

I think it will be relevent to Autistics because it speaks about how traditional male strengths of single-mindedness, stoicism, courage and directness(which Autistics share, though I'm not a fan of the male brain theory of SBC) are now seen as weaknesses whilst female strengths like empathy, consensus and multi-tasking(which Autistics are seen as being poor at) are highly valued.

If the programme fails to have the impact I'm hoping for, I may go on a letter-writing rampage giving the Autistic perspective and explaining how a long fight for equality for women has swapped one form discrimination for another.