MiddleEarthNet

Using ear defenders in public

I want to know what people's experiences are with this. Most of my senses are really hypersensitive. I already regularly wear sunglasses even when others don't but I'm not sure if the solution for dealing with too much sound is a good idea. I own a pair of ear defenders. I absolutely love them and they are brilliant, they also happen to be bright red. I've used them loads when it is too much sound but I'm not in a public place. But using them in front of other people, I'm not so sure about. My support worker has taken me to a few places that I would love if only I could cope with the sound but the sound is too much for me. I've tried the more discreet ear plugs and they aren't right for me. They didn't block out enough of the sound, allowed the really painful high pitch sounds through and made me more aware of the internal sounds of the ear. Even if I buy a more neutral colour ear defenders, I still think they will be really obvious. And I'm still nervous about using fidget/sensory toys in public. The sunglasses feel more acceptable. What are other people's experiences or thoughts on wearing ear defenders in public?

Personally, I am of the needs must school of thought, what works works and all that. Maybe though, as an alternative, you could try using headphones - I mean some of them really are big enough to qualify as ear-defenders anyway, and they really would not look out of place in a good many public places.

Out of curiosity, how are the big ear phones (that cover the ear) at blocking sound if I don't have music playing? I'd be willing to try that. But I can't use them if they are playing music, the sound that close to my ear, even on low volume is agony.

But the blending in appearance of them really does appeal.

How big the ear/head phones are depends entirely on how big you want or need them to be - and of course how much money you want to spend. The blocking sound thing can be as extensive as you need - i.e. complete and utter 'noise cancellation' with some of the more technological versions out there. Obviously listening to music, pretending you are listening to music - or not even listening to it at all is entirely up you.

Have a perusal on Curries or Argos type websites and all that sort of thing maybe.

PS - just had a peruse on the inter-net myself, at amazon.co.uk and there is a product called EARMUFF - THE REAL WORK STUFF no less, which might provide a bit of contrast especially on the price and style front.

Edited by Deepthought