gmboy

Camouflaging and late diagnosis (research and blog)

There was an interesting blog today on a section of the British Psychological Society's website https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/02/24/theres-such-a-thing-as-autism-camouflaging-and-it-might-explain-why-some-people-are-diagnosed-so-late/about camouflaging of autistic traits and how this is related to late diagnosis of autism. Ok, so it's not an original idea, but it is recent research and it looks into some possible variable factors such as make/female gender, which I found interesting. You can also get the whole research article for free at http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1362361316671012?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3dpubmed . This page has the abstract and references, and there is a link to download the whole article as a pdf if you want to.

Thanks. Having got an unclear, to me anyway, result from my assessment of having characteristics of autism and avoidant personality disorder, but not actually having either, and my problems with getting things done put down to my low mood, rather than a problem with executive function, that's interesting. I really feel that there's something much deeper that's caused me problems for 61 years than anyone has recognised. Either no one I've seen really understands me, or there's something they're telling me that I don't understand. Either way, I'm now totally stuck. I've read the blog, and will read, try to make sense of, the research later, and maybe stir things up with the so called "experts" with it, and see what they say.