Sign in to follow this  
diaz85

Which professionals actually diagnose

Psychiatrists (who are qualified medical doctors) and Clinical Psychologists. That's what I understand. Some services carry out assessments as part of a 'multi-disciplinary team' which could involve people of different professions e.g. Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist, other types of Psychologist. A multi-disciplinary approach is recommended in NICE guidelines, although I understand that in my area most adults are diagnosed via the community mental health team after 1 or 2 appointments. With the multi-disciplinary approach there would usually be a discussion among the team of professionals to share their professional opinions and try to reach agreement on whether to diagnose and whether any further referrals or support will be offered. I'm not familiar with children's services, but I think that they would also ask for input from the school. It just depends on which service you go to as to how it's organised and who actually provides the diagnosis. If there's an autism charity in your local area I would anticipate them knowing the local arrangements for assessment and diagnosis, relevant to your situation.