Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Lorna Wing

It appears that she was working at the Institute of Psychiatry, Maudsley Hospital, London. In 1991 she founded the Centre for Social and Communication Disorders in Bromley along with Judith Gould under the auspices of the NAS. This was the first centre in Britain to provide a complete diagnostic, assessment, and advice service for people with social and communication disorders. I'm trying to find out if the Maudsley Hospital was the only place in Britain that could diagnose a person with AS before 1991.

Lorna Wing published the book Autistic Children: A Guide for Parents and Professionals in 1985. I'm not sure how popular this book was with child and educational psychologists but there is no mention of AS nor any reference to the paper about AS she published in 1981.

She published two other papers about AS in the 1980s:

Identical triplets with Asperger's syndrome. E. Burgoine and L. Wing. The British Journal of Psychiatry, Volume 143, Issue 3, September 1983, pp261-265.

Clarification on Asperger's syndrome. Lorna Wing. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Volume 16, Issue 4, December 1986, pp515-518.

I haven't got round to looking at them yet.