Sign in to follow this  
bid

AS and the elderly...

Hi :)

My elderly dad feels he definitely has AS, but no formal dx.

He is now in extremely poor health, in hospital.

Has anyone had any experience of such a situation?

He has speech and lang problems due to a previous stroke, and he was trying to tell the medical team about his AS. As they couldn't understand him, I tried to explain for him, but with little success as they were busy with his physical problems, and of course we have no formal dx.

My concern is that he needs to be treated within the context of having AS, especially his mental health problems.

Any ideas...I just sounded like a mad woman going on about her son when I tried to explain!!

Bid :(

I realise that this is quite an obscure question, so don't worry if I don't get any replies! Nellie, thank you for your PM, so don't feel you have to repeat yourself here! >:D<<'>

ooh i dont, but i wonder if hospital staff are clued up about AS probably not, they only concern themselves with the physical not the mental as you say.

I hope yr dad gets the care he needs and that someone has a better reply than this lol :wub:

this thread made me think. My grandad died many years ago, but now i think of it when i was a child he would be sitting reading the newspaper when i visited their house, and he wouldnt even aknowledge that we were there, and as we went out he would shove a sixpence in our hands, but not say a word.

He never played with us or talked to us really, and my mom says she dosent remember him ever playing or taking a part in the family at all.

He just worked and went out drinking at night. He was a loner with no friends and would often work away from the family, and liked to spend time on his own. Not easy with 12 kids in a three bed terraced house!!!!!.

Wonder if he was an aspie too, it is supposed to run in families isnt it. i suppose in those days (THE 60'S), he would just be classed as odd or eccentric.

Hi my grandad died a few years ago now at the ageof 89and was always odd. My mum having read the tony attwood book is convinced he had aspergers. For the final year of his life he was in and out of hospital, this was when my H was about 2 so pre diagnosis. This was very difficult he hated being in hospital and hated the nurses trying to do things and every time there was a loud noise he hid under the bed! Looking back on it he hardly ever left home before this and this must have been very stressful time for him through which he got little support.

When he got home he was v demanding of my granny who is the same age and this made him alienated to some extent from his family. I wish we had understood his difficulties better.

I would maybe try to talk to his named nurse at a quiet time. Also try to do what you think is best. My grandfather was much better of at home even if he was ill and could have been better off in hospital the stress was not worth it when he was near the end of his life anyway.

Hi Nellie

Although my grandfather isn't with us any more, I'm told he was in and out of psychiatric hospitals in his later life - they never got to the bottom of his strange ways but I suppose AS wasn't much known about then.

EG- He could never look at car wheels in case the car had an accident & never put the handbrake on in his life!

I have NO idea how he made it into his senior years!

I think my gran would have benefitted a lot if they'd have heard of AS - I certainly find that understanding the condition helps me cope

Sorry its not much help but I think you should persue it.

What about asking the carer centre for advice? My support worker seems to know the answers to everything!!!

L

xxx

PS He died at home cos he hated being in hospital

Edited by Lesley

Wow...thanks everyone! I didn't think I'd get any replies as it's the opposite to most people's problems here.

Luckily my dad is under the care of the Elderly Care Team, who take a holistic approach to their patients :thumbs: He has improved since Monday, and seems less confused :)

I've spoken about my concerns to my brother, as I know, for example, that some medication hasn't been suitable for my son because of AS and presumably the same could be true for my dad. My brother will raise the issue again, and probably do it better than I did :wacko:

Thanks again for your input...I suppose it's a problem that will come round eventually for everyone with AS...

Bid >:D<<'>