Sign in to follow this  
Lydia

Looking for your thoughts on school for children with Aspergers (approved by moderator)

Hi there,

My name is Lydia and I would like to know if you would be interested to take part in a research project involving those with High Functioning Autism/Asperger’s Syndrome that I am undertaking as a postgraduate student through the University of Nottingham.

Reason for the research

I am keen to research and publish a paper on the experiences of people with AS at primary and secondary school. There is not much research out there that listens to the views and stories of people with AS themselves. This is unfortunate and my aim is to highlight (through themes that come up from your responses) areas of the school system that have been troublesome, any that were good, and highlight areas that need to change. I am also keen to explore whether you feel that identification in childhood would have been beneficial to your experience at school and for those of you who were identified as a child (if any?) your experiences of education as a result.  I am also interested in your thoughts on any experience you have had with the ‘Special Educational needs’ system whilst at school.

What it would involve

The research will be carried out though the University of Nottingham, as part of my Master's program, and has full ethical approval.

The research would involve an interview over the internet with myself that would last approximately 45 minutes.  This would take place either by live chat (non-video instant text messaging) or a videocall (e.g. skype), whatever you are more comfortable with.  I would send you a copy of the questions in advance, including an information sheet and a consent form. You would be free to withdraw from the research at any time (no obligations) and your contribution will remain anonymous. The interview would be 'semi-structured', meaning that there is room for you to add personal views and opinions about additional areas that the questions may not cover.

Why research?

Research helps to inform practice - at least eventually. Research also potentially inspires other and more larger scale research. It is therefore a potential force for change. I think that this is a valuable project to be a part of, in that it aims to listen to the views and experiences of people with Asperger’s Syndrome who have been in the education system before, in the hope that we can make things better in school for children with Asperger’s in the future.

If you would like to take part in this research or have any questions please email me at lydiabeeuk@yahoo.co.uk

Kind regards,

Lydia MacDonald