Aeolienne

A 5-year-old with autism made a 999 call when his mother collapsed, despite normally struggling with conversation

(Not written by me)

A 5-year-old with autism made a 999 call when his mother collapsed, despite normally struggling with conversation

Tyler Semple, five, was presented with the award by the National Autistic Society

Florence Snead

Monday October 1st 2018

A youngster with autism who struggles to hold conversations has earned an award for bravery after he called 999 and guided paramedics to his house when his mother collapsed.

Tyler Semple was presented with a bravery award by the National Autistic Society for his actions after his mother, Charley-Anne Semple, fell unconscious at home while unpacking some shopping.

Ms Semple, 27, was at home in Thurrock, Essex, with her two children when she collapsed on September 21.

‘He’s very clever with technology’

“I was home just putting some shopping away, which was the last thing I remember,” she said.

“What I’ve been able to piece together and have been told by the paramedics is I was lying on the floor unconscious.”

She explained her five-year-old son then took her mobile phone to call for help. “He knows the pin code, he’s very clever with technology,” she continued. “He called 999. He was on the phone for a good ten minutes, which is extremely difficult and quite surprising for Tyler as he doesn’t hold conversation very well.

“He has speech therapy. He’s verbal but keeping interest in conversation, staying on topic is difficult.

“He told them he needed an ambulance and he recited our address. We’ve only lived here four months. He was giving them the phonetic postcode – Romeo, Mike… He was also giving her directions.”

Ms Semple said her son’s call might have sounded “like a hoax” at first as Tyler – who struggles to answer direct questions – said she had died after eating a “poisoned apple”.

‘He’s more capable than people give him credit for’

Tyler then went with his three-year-old sister Annabella – who was also given an award – to fetch a neighbour for help.

Ms Semple’s collapse was caused by a pre-existing medical condition. She said she had fainted before but not recently.

She said both her children were “so happy with their awards” and that by dialling 999 Tyler proved to her that “he’s more capable than people give credit for”.

“I think what’s nice and what I’m really trying to push is to celebrate how fantastic I think the children did on the day and to raise autism in a positive light,” she said. “It’s nice to celebrate them.”

An East of England Ambulance Service spokesman said Tyler had been “very brave” to stay calm in what must have been a “very frightening” situation.

Additional reporting from Press Association.  

Source: iNews