Sign in to follow this  
Yorkie

SNA/Teacher conflict

Wonder if anyone can offer any advice on this??

I fought for 18 months with school and Leeds LEA to get my AS lad statemented and a full time SNA. She is fab and started in May. All the things I've been asking for, like a detailed home/school diary (not just 3 words) were implemented without even asking, and she was astounded that school didnt have a visual timetable ( i have given them all the picture cards and advice on how to use it) I explained that school felt it wasnt necessary.

Ive picked up vibes from her that her opinions/experience are being pooh-poohed by the class teacher and SENCO, but as shes new she doesnt like to make waves. I think she feel very much out-on-a-limb, as my lads teacher and SENCO are very friendly and give each other 'knowing looks' when she trying to suggest something.

Thing is, SENCO is going to be teacher next year, and without interfering, how do I handle this one? I dont want to go to head cos theylll know that SNA has hinted that all is not rosy, but the worst thing is that if shes unhappy she'll leave and I'll be back to square one.

My lad is going into a newly-built school in September, so when I explained about new smells, classrooms and how they needed to be aware how stressful this could be, they looked at me llike I was mad!!! They finally agreed that a visual timetable could be used for the first term to 'see how he settles'.

They seem to think that if he isnt kicking off, he doesnt need help or timetable. My argument is that the stresses are hidden and we get it in the neck when he gets home!!!

HELP!!!!

As an SEN Governor, I did an SEN Audit in the school - and the thing we noticed was how often teachers said "He doesn't need ....." without any real evidence that he doesn't.

The question of visual timetables came up - I was told that X had said he didn't want one - I asked: did he say why - "cos it made him stand out as different" - so I suggested that all classes should use a visual timetable (instead of a small, written one) - it won't do any harm to those who don't need it, and will probably help more children than they realise.

You try to find out who the SEN Governor is at your school. They may be able to help you get your points across.

The National Literacy and Numeracy Strategy Notes have a lovely section on dyslexia-friendly strategies, but Teachers seemed to think if they did not have a child with a dx of dyslexia, they didn't need to use them.

Karen

I'd be ordering a few copies of: Autistic Spectrum Disorders; Good Practice Guidance from the DfES (you can order them online) and be taking them in for the teachers/SENCo at the start of term! But then I can be a bit of a sh*t-stirrer when I want to be. That said, they NEED telling!!