Aut_Scot

Coronavirus: The struggle of living in lockdown with autism

Honestly, it's the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm now optionless but to buckle down and get all of my projects finished. I'm probably working harder now than I ever have, and it's ALL towards my big life goals.

I feel like I'm being just generally kinder to myself as well, in a weird way this entire thing has caused me to re-tune my way of thinking a bit. 

I've been working full-time for the duration of the lockdown (my job was already set up for working for home). This I know makes me one of the more fortunate ones, but it has meant that I haven't enjoyed the massive increase in free time that other people are apparently experiencing. Nor have I got to know my neighbours any better. I live in a top floor flat and I don't even know how many other people are in the building.

Physically I've been fine, apart from initially suffering sore hands from the frequent washing and (in the last month) somehow straining an abductor hip muscle which makes some yoga poses painful. In fact I've shed 4 kg. Amazing what a difference the absence of vending machines, colleagues' birthday cakes and samosa sales have made!

My greatest achievement was to land two job offers last month: one for an internal promotion I'd been interviewed for back in mid-March (the last time I ever shook hands with anyone) and one with a different employer, an energy consultancy. I've decided to go for the latter. I'm still officially with my current employer until 29 June and am now using up my annual leave. Too bad there's not much I can do with it.

18 hours ago, Aeolienne said:

My greatest achievement was to land two job offers last month: one for an internal promotion I'd been interviewed for back in mid-March (the last time I ever shook hands with anyone) and one with a different employer, an energy consultancy.

Well done and also for your other achievement.  I am going back to work next week, I am really looking forward to that.  I use public transport so to get to and from work so that is a worry (small risk of Covid, but chance of not getting on the bus if it is too full).

I am lucky to still have a job.  Life will be very hard for a lot of people who have lost their jobs or who's businesses have been damaged.  It is soul destroying looking for work when there is mass unemployment, applying for jobs and keep getting rejected, not to mention money worries that go with unemployment.