Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

My little boy started school today

Hello

Just thought I'd keep you updated. Matthew went to school today for first time. We put uniform on - no problem, took some photos and then went to school. Went into school and he dropped to the floor. Teacher came and got him, let him run about for a wee while and then got taken to his classroom. There were no other pupils there as it was just before 9. Felt a bit sad that i never met any other new pupils parents but i think most come on the school transport. I am very fortunate that i have my own car!

Anyway, Matthew explored his new classroom and then pushed myself and his daddy out of the room! He said "daddy go to work"...........................

Have to pick him up at 3.15 so we shall see how he gets on. I took the day off work but will prob just clean the house or go food shopping - exciting eh! Must admit I had a wee cry in my car once he had gone to school and after his daddy had gone to work!

Elainex

Elaine >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

First day at school, I remember it well, I cried buckets! :tearful:

I hope Matthew has a good day, it sounds like he got off to a good start.

Keep us posted.

Nellie xx

:thumbs: Elaine

I remember the first time my son went to nursery. I didn't start work until the next week and it was very strange at home without him.

Hope his and your day is going well.

Elaine it brought tears to my eyes. My son starts in just over two weeks and I get teary just thinking about it, I will be a basket case by the time he goes. :wacko:

I hope it goes well for him, and you. Best wishes.

Viper.

Hi my son went back to school into p3 on tuesday, I felt like crying for the first time, he seemed like a litle "alien" lost on a strange planet. He was trying to interact with his "freinds" and they were giving him that look- like where did you come from- and running of. But so far so good no major problems. :)

B) Hope his first day went well and he's enjoyed it, my youngest starts in 2 and a bit weeks and I bet I'll cry

Canopus, some schools in Scotland I know finish earlier and start earlier, unfortunately some idiot decided to give our kids 7 weeks off this year

Canopus, some schools in Scotland I know finish earlier and start earlier, unfortunately some idiot decided to give our kids 7 weeks off this year

Is the date that determines what academic year one is in from their birthday set at midnight 31st August or is it earlier?

I think its completely different

Technically, all children born between the beginning of March one year and the end of February the next, start school together in mid-August, with an average age of four and a half. In Scotland, therefore, it is the winter-born children who are the youngest in the class, not the summer-born as in the rest of the UK. But they suffer the same tendency to underachieve.

Thanks to a once little-known provision of the Education (Scotland) Act 1980, the parents of children who are not five when the school year begins have the legal right to hold them back until the next year.

Hello

Well, Matthew had a really good day at his school. His teacher last saw him in June and said he saw a difference in him especially re his speech. He was sort of crying when i came to take him home and kept saying "boys school" though he cheered up when i said that he was going back tomorrow! B)

I had another wee cry in the car after the teacher told me that Matthew had a good day.................

Canpus re your question, i think the date is earlier than August............. well it is in Scotland anyway ( i think).

Elaine

Is there any part of a year where ones birthday would result in them being in a different academic year in Scotland than in England?

One finishes Y11 in England aged 15 or 16 and their 16th birthday can be no later than 31st August after they have finished, or any earlier than 1st September in the year they start Y11.

Some LEAs in England used to have school terms starting in August and used 31st July as the date that determined the academic year. This meant that those with an August birthday would be a year below what they should have been in.

H goes to school in scotland and you should br 5 when you start p1 but if your birthday is coming up before xmas you can choose to send them that year (most do) or wait. H is going to be 7 in sept and the youngest in his class all the others are already 7. However the exam system and high school are diferent so i think it all evens out

forbay -- glad you had such a good first day and he enjoyed it >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Matthew had another good day today at school - been told that he has been really settled. All that playing in the playground when the school was closed - has paid off! Though I will prob be on the school's cctv and they will be thinking who is that nutter...............................

The most important thing is that he is in a place that people understand him

Elaine

xx

Well my little boy went away to school quite happily today. I honestly cannot believe how well he has taken to school. I was really worried about how he would cope. I really think it helped going down to the school when it was closed and letting him get used to the place. Obviously, this is not practical for everyone but I would strongly recommend it.

We had a laugh with him y'day - my dad is a member of a golf club and he was wearing his jersery - my little boy came out with the name. My dad was totally shocked.......................

Elaine

x

Got report from school y'day, m was hitting the classroom assistant - i think he did it a couple of days before. Was going to go into one of my panic modes then I thought - em hold on a minute, he has only been at school for a week and his normal routines have been totally turned upside down.

Couldn't log onto this brill forum last night as I had severe problems with my land line phone.

I assume hitting in school is quite common? My parents were trying to make an issue of this but I am not too concerned at the moment though i think it is quite right that the school are trying to nip this in the bud.