Sign in to follow this  
Flora

Piriton

Is this terrible? A few weeks ago I gave my youngest ASD DS piriton for mild hayfever. I'd never given it to him before and was quite pleased with it's quick results to combat his runny nose; we also got an added benefit which I wasn't expecting in that half an hour later he asked to go to bed (before 8pm... so far unheard of!!) and fell in to a deep sleep, not waking until morning! :D

Tonight, after a somewhat roller coaster of a day I forced myself to believe his nose was runny :devil: so I could feed him a spoonfull of piriton to try and get him to sleep early :oops:

I'm waiting to see if it's worked, I've just put him to bed and will check him in a few minutes :pray:

Feel a bit bad though :unsure:

Lauren

It's not terrible. It's not ideal, but you do need to allow yourself a bit of a rest sometimes. So don't feel guilty, and allow yourself a relaxing evening. It's not a long term solution though. If you're feeling like this, maybe it's time to look for something that could help on a long-term basis. Melatonin seems to help a lot of children to sleep.

Actually it didn't work anyway! Obviously the first time was a 'one off'.. in fact I was punished severely as he didn't actually drop off until near midnight and kept popping downstairs all evening to see what he was missing. :hypno: Won't try that again in a hurry!

Lauren

hi Lauren

Maybe you could look at herbal remedies. I have heard other parents using these - I am very very fortunate in that my son goes to bed usually no problem.

I am not sure how old your child is but I have a safety gate on my son's bedroom though i am pretty sure that he has sussed out how to use it.

Don't be hard on yourself.

Take care

Elaine

x

mm i wouldnt do it too often. piriton is pretty strong i think. try the melatonin :wub:

Hi

I too have a wonderful AS child who doesn't like sleep.Melatoin was perscribed however because it doesn't have a licence in this country my husband and myself couldn't make ourselfs give it to him.We went back and was percribed a anti histamine like piraton only stronger it's not for use all the time however it does work when we do use it.

We are only human as parents and we too need our sleep so we can live with the AS, ASD etc................

Don't feel guilty try what is best for your situation be it prescribed or herbal.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Lisann,

Melatonin is a naturally occurring substance in the human brain. You can find information about it on this site.

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/projects/s_th...ang/+start.html

And a long thread on this topic.

Melatonin?, Any experience of using it?

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...wtopic=218&st=0

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know.

Nellie xx