Sign in to follow this  
mrs q

Anyone done a HELP course

I recieve alot of information this morning from the Disabled Database Co-ordinator.

One is for a Parents Open Meeeting....(free lunch)

and a HELP course

Was wondering if anyone else had done one?

Thanks ;)

I am waiting to do one. It is run by NAS and is offered in 3 age groups. It is open to anyone whos child has had a diagnosis of asd in the last 18 months and 2 places are allocated per family. It runs for about 20 hours covering a range of topics over several sessions. Looking forward to it and meeting other parents.

HELP iS run by the NAS, they are supposed to be really good.I got offered a place in sept but could,nt face it..... :tearful: ....sometimes it gets me like that :ph34r: . I find I,m bettter with my head in the sand muddling along :(

I went on one in March in Wrexham. I would recomment any parent to go on it, but it is especially useful for parents who have a child who has recently been diagnosed, it will help you make sense of the bewildering array of things like DLA, Statements, school action plus, family fund etc. etc.

The chance to meet and talk with other parents in the same position is the biggest plus of all, and it wasn't remotely scary or intimidating.

Suze

Please think about going, once you get there and talking to the other parents, you will be really glad you did.

Simon

I went on one in June. As A had been diagnosed for a while and I had already found this site I found that I already knew the things that they were covering, but as mosgrove said you get the chance to meet other parents and this is invaluable.

I think the course was very informative and well presented. There is also a library that you can borrow books from and the organisers will go and research for any information that you want that isn't covered by the course and bring information in for you.

The "presenters" were very approachable, very caring and very knowledable. They were checking through parental advices and statements and advising people on them. They had plenty of time to listen and weren't at all judgmental. They warn you that they haven't got all the answers but say that their aim is to give you the knowledge to better understand your child and their behaviour.

There was a day that I didn't make because I was unwell and they had all the notes and information covered ready for me the next session.

If you get a chance to go, take it.

Thanks for all replies....

I going to do the course and go to this meeting for all parents in the area.

I looking forward to meeting other parents.

I was offer an early bird course but refuse it....as they seem very very veryunorganised.....and my life too hectic for another lot of choas. And I was told in was going to be miles away......wth no creche provison or help towards childcare.....

I met one of the organisers later on and she told me they had the course and it was in my town. Typical not listening to parents.