Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

A tax rebate

Hi All,

I think it was something that was suggested by the conservatives. Parents who do not use state facilites would be compensated.

Alas, just like using private health care or going abroad for operations, there are no concessions.

Best wishes

HelenL

Considering that the Tories were in power for 18 years and I got to see every single day of these 18 years, yet they never even thought of a tax rebate for home education makes me believe that their version will turn out to be a sweetener for the disgruntled middle class rather than a real reform of the education system.

I can never forgive the Tories for screwing around with the education system during their 18 years in power. Many of the problems of today have their roots in the reforms of the mid 80s.

But then they would also have to give a rebate for those who choose not to have children, or who can't have children. Basically would mean a 'pay as you go' type for all services, inc hospitals, schools, etc etc.

The primary purpose of the rebate is to provide money to buy textbooks and educational materials that the parents may have difficulty affording otherwise. It is not intended to be a "I don't use the services therefore I shouldn't have to pay for them" proposal.