Sign in to follow this  
TylersMum

Acceptance and Understanding

Just wanted to share this. Some of you may have read in other threads that I have had an experience in Tesco's recently where the checkout lady made me really cross by her reactions to Tylers outburst (which was because she had to take his book off him and scan it).

This weekend a woman pulled her son away from Tyler in B&Q because he was having a 'moment', so I looked at her, smiled, and said "don't worry, its not catching". She flushed slightly and walked away, I didn't even mention ASD.

I now realised how far I have come, even in the last few weeks since diagnosis, based on a telephone conversation I just had with an old friend.

I rang her to tell her we have moved. We haven't seen her for about a year. She asked after the kids and I said Tyler is starting school on Monday, she responded with the usual "No, he can't be starting school already..." as people do, then she asked which school and I told her Chalet School (special school) and she asked me why he was going there, so I told her he has been diagnosed with ASD, her reaction was "but he's such a lovely boy" in a tone that suggests ASD kids are NOT lovely.

I actually smiled to myself on the end of the phone and said "yes, he is a lovely boy, isn't he". :whistle:

:clap: Well done you :clap:

Sometimes you can actually gain more enjoyment from making a crypic comment like 'It's ok it's not catching' :devil:

I know I know it's naughty - but nice :lol:

Carole

B) Good for you B)

Sounds like one of those moments when you want to stick your finger in the air and announce 'One to me'

It takes hard work to get that comfortable with your childs diagnosis. Well done you!!!!

Well done I wish I was there to see the expression on the woman's face............ :lol: That put her in her place......... :clap::clap::clap::clap: I wouldn't even want to change my son, he his what he his and as problems if people dont like it well let them..Well that's my views anyway.

Take care

Amanda

I like it actually, ive always loved being challenging lol :whistle:

:angry: AAAAAARRGGGHHH!!!!...WHY DO PEEPS SAY THAT???? i,M SURE IT IS,NT MEANT TO BE RUDE OR NASTY BUT IF THEY JUST THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.