Sign in to follow this  
TylersMum

Birthday Party for 5 Year Old ASD

I need some help with ds birthday party. He LOVES parties, especially the cake and singing (and even more if there is a bouncy castle) but hates any games i.e. pass the parcel.

He turns 5 on 26th September but has left pre-school so can't invite the handful of friends he had there, but doesn't start big school till Monday so I assume he won't have enough friends there to invite within 3 weeks.

I want to make a big fuss for him but don't know whether to invite any new kids from school, kids from his ASD trampolining class or just our friends who have kids, and get a bouncy castle in the garden........!! :huh:

I was also considering a party at the local soft play area, its huge and ds LOVES it there but it costs about �8 per child and again, who do I invite???!!!!!!!

:wacko::blink::(:huh:

I found myself in a similar situation a few years back. I decided to invite all the 'new friends' and booked a magician who came to the house. The kids arrived, the magician did his show, (birthday boy as star of the show) the magician left, the kids had some food, their parents picked them up and they all went home with a party bag. Nothing could be easier :whistle:

Just a suggestion!

Lauren :D

I was in a similar position 2 yrs ago as H birthday is sept 14th I invited his new class mates and a couple of "freinds" from nursey. I found it a great way to meet the other mothers from his class, none of whom i knew before and H was delighted to be the first child to have a party ( even if we did have meltdown over the other kids touching his oys, wouldn't play party games etc!) This year I have deceided h can't cope with party so taking a few freinds swimming which h loves.

Personally I'd probably go for the more expensive at first soft play idea, as by the time you pay to hire the castle/entertainment, food, prizes etc etc it will probably end up being more than �8 a head, and at the end of it you go home, no mess etc

Maybe ask him who he wants to invite, I'd probbly invite who he was already specnding time with if it was for my son but as sarahjane said it can also be a good ice breaker inviting children from his new class.

Best of luck whichever you decide :thumbs:

Thanks guys. I've been doing a bit of digging with the school he starts on Monday and the transport company, and there will be only 2 other kids on the coach with Tyler, both are in his class at his new school and both are similar ages.

So, thinking that as he LOVES bouncy castles, might invite 3 or 4 from the new school plus a couple of current friends of the same age, that he sees regularly because their parents are our friends, if that makes sense! :wacko:

Total kids will be about 10 (manageable) plus castle will be c�30. Not too expensive either B)B)

Praying for good weather............ :pray::pray: