Sign in to follow this  
Tez

How British are you?

Just seen this on the new citizenship test that the Government are implementing. How would you score and what are your views on it? Seems to me the money would be better spent giving appropriate education to our kids.

Citizenship test

I got 11 right

Though the one about Question 7 Father Christmas is wrong, he was from pagan times.....Coca Cola made Santa Claus popular by dressing him in the red.....

Interesting - I only got 7 LOL! My hubby is from the US and about to apply for his citizenship for the UK. He's been here long enough now its not essential, but we may move to the States at some point and dont want any hassles when coming back!

Lynne

Edited by LLaverty

9 right. I agree with mrsq it was the pagans with the father christmas thing.

and a complete waste of money.

Viper.

lord, what a waste of time!!!! :o

Well, I got 10, which is impressive as for 10 years I wasn't allowed to have a British passport (thanks, Maggie) because I was born in the US, as was my mum, while my dad was born in Burma(My grandad was teaching there at the time).

Having lived in England since I was six months and owning a British passport since age 8 (when I did a french exchange :crying: ) I protested in the only way I could - I moved to Scotland. :dance:

The questions are ridiculous - No. 1 is straight out of the Tories' '79 manifesto, the ratio of English to Welsh or Scottish is really the ratio of English to Welsh and Scottish, if you spill someone's pint round here, you won't be walking home; and as for the Santa question, that was a trick one as the pagan part was right, but Shakespeare never mentions him.

My favourite was the last one - it's good to know that it doesn't matter if your lawyer is unqualified and has a serious conflict of interests, just so long as you know what he will charge to defraud you :blink:

Does anyone think the batcave could come up with a more 'realistic' set of questions?

nemo

I think the concept of 'Britain' is basically dead myself, the Scots, Irish and Welsh seem to have a lot fewer issues deciding 'who they are', but the English seem in real turmoil ! The questions didn't seem to reflect the UK (which is what it is), and was rather biased towards southern England, as per usual ! But then all the illegals and immigrants want to live there don't they ? I've visions of the entire south-east of England disappearing into the sea with the weight of them :lol:

Questions like

(X)Is Leicester the,

(1) Bangldesh capital,

(2) Bengali ? or

(3)Asian capital of the UK

(Y) Is Urdu the language of

(1) Wales ?

(2) England ?

(3) Ireland ?

(4) Scotland ?

(5) All of the above ?

would be a realistic start.

My score-11.

I doubt the questions the government provides are the same as the BBCs,this list looks informal.

MelowMeldrew,what questions are biased to Southern England?

I cannot see any region specifics,they're all valid nation-wide.

Edited by TuX

MelowMeldrew,what questions are biased to Southern England?

I cannot see any region specifics,they're all valid nation-wide.

Obvious isn't it :lol: Only the english parliament and politicians could dream up such a silly excuse for validating who or what you are. Simple ask them to speak English and sign a declaration to integrate in a certain time frame, those that don't comply, we send 'em back, sorted. I think the term 'nation' is debatable, they're asking questions ignoring wales, Scotland, and Ireland which are seperate entities to those who live there (Scotland is self-governing). We don't share similar values the way it was expressed in the questionaire, I'm still fuming from census' being sent here in Wales that refused to acknowledge Wales and the Welsh existed, yet recognised Asian, and ethnicty for everyone else perhaps we shopuld deport the English Parliament :lol: But, who would take them !!

the entire south-east of England disappearing into the sea

Question 11: Who has dreamed of the above happening for the last 1000 years?

a)the Welsh, the Scots and the Irish;

b)anyone north or west of Oxford;

c) all of the above;

d) who cares, let's all go and jump up and down on Kent to speed it up!

nemo :devil:

Me again :hypno:

The reason why Welsh was not on the census as a nationality is because then the Little Englanders would have to admit that all the Britons moved there, while England was invaded by Angles, Saxons, Franks, Goths, Vikings, etc. etc. There might have been a bit of a fuss if the English had to tick the 'mixed race' box :lol:

the real slim nemo :jester:

(a dalraidan scot from both sides of the water)

Edited by littlenemo

I got 8 - pretty impressive as I only came here when I was 23. :P

I always wondered why I was getting into so many pub fights. :devil:

K

I got 11

some of them I knew - but others were just guesses!

What a waste of time and money - could have been better spent on the eductaion and health system.

I wonder - was this test based on the american citizenship programme - wouldnt surprise me the questions sound very american. ( sorry if I offend)