Sign in to follow this  
jenny1969

dla when 16

hi i am after any info regarding dla once they are 16 my son has been getting dla for a while and was awarded it again just before his 16 birthday they said he can have it till 2007 but then he turned 16 and they have stopped it and i am getting a visit i am wondering is it because he is 16 or that i have got him into college 2 and a half days a week(fingers crossed he can do college)anyone had this before when i told my son he has someone coming to see him he has not stopped going on about it he is getting very stressed by it any advice would be great

jenny

Hi Jenny,

My son is 16 in a couple of weeks. We filled in a form a couple of months about post 16 DLA. It was to do with if our son would be able to handle his own affairs. I put down that I wanted to be his appointee. We had a visit a few weeks ago. All they really did was ask us to show them his birth certificate, my driving licence etc. and to briefly tell them why I felt I needed to be his appointee ie there is no way that he would be able to call them and sort out any problems, let alone handle his own bank account.

We haven't got as far as college yet, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Edited by annie

:) thanks annie thats a great help i also had a letter and i said i wanted to be my sons appointee i spoke to my son about this and he knows he is no good with money once i let him go to the cinema with his brother and some lads came over to them asking did they have any money my son with the dx said yes and got his money out before my other son could say anything they had took all his money off him and walked off he gets worried know when he has money i have told him he is like the queen she never has money on her so he tells people i am like the queen they never get the joke, sa far as college goes its very early days i just hope he gets the support the one good things is they work in one room and the size of the groupe is small i have been a mess since monday thats when he started he is a big 6 foot lad but he can be so vunerable its funny you never stop worrying about them :) thanks again jenny

Hi Jenny,

I have a child who turned 16 in March - her DLA was also stopped until the paperwork was sorted out.

Our experience was similar to Annie's. It's very straightforward - nothing to worry about. The DWP person was very pleasant - didn't even ask to see my daughter and didn't want to see my ID either! She just went through the form with me basically. I did phone up before and make a big thing about her having communication difficulties and anxiety around strangers because of her autism, so this may have helped.

If you become your son's appointee you automatically remain so for any other benefits your son might get from the DWP.

K