Sign in to follow this  
Lisajb

its all kicked off ......

Well, just back into the new term, cat not very well (allergies) daughters pierced ear not healing up (yuck), dishwasher broke down (water everywhere and more expense), computer not very well (b****y blueyonder) :wacko:

and then theres Chris

did really well in GCSE's, signed up for 4 A levels - maths, chemistry, physics and DT (oh dear, really difficult set, gulp), and last night he came home in a right stress "I can't do this, its too difficult I can't cope" nearly in tears

:crying::crying::crying::crying:

anyone know anything about SURD's?

Lisa

>:D<<'> Im sorry to hear youve had a rough time too! >:D<<'>

Sorry I cant help with SURD's - wouldnt have a clue -

Fair play to your boy for setting himself personal goals and challenges -

im afraid I dont know what to suggest, - but I remember my son having the same tantrum about learning to ride his bike without stabilisers - but he got there with practise -

sounds like you are there for him - which is the best thing you can be!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> hugs Lisa......4 does seem alot to do is that normal nowadays, we just did 2 or 3 plus general studies (a cop out)........SURDS??????......NEVER HEARD OF THEM. I,m sure Baddad will know what they are :lol::lol:

It is usual to take 4 AS levels and continue with 3 of them to A2. That way one ends up with 3 A levels and 1 AS level.

Back in my days one took 3 A levels and we didn't have the AS A2 system, so all exams were taken at the end of the second year.

I know what surds are and can (probably) help.

It's very common for A-level students to change courses during the 1st month or so. If he can't cope with this subject, it shouldn't be a problem for him to do something else instead. If Canopus can't help, your son should speak with his teacher about his difficulties, and give it a little bit of time (maybe a week or so). It's possible that this is a difficulty that can be overcome. If not, then he needs to look into trying a different subject, or possibly giving it up altogether. 3 subjects are quite enough in my opinion.

Thanks Phasmid I'll show him that - hopefully it will make more sense to Chris than to me!

although he was talking about seeing a teacher this am and switching to something else - if it will reduce the stress then I'm fine with that - I don't think any of us will be able to cope with this for 2 years!

Canopus I'll see whats happened tonight when he get home - if we're still with maths can he pm you?

Nellie they do sound like a soap powder - washes whiter and stresses you out!

Can't wait for Bad's comments!

Thanks to all for good wishes

Lisa

Phasmid...clever thing :dance::dance: .....now we know what SURDS are I,m so relieved :wacko: ......anyone know what the heck it all means?????? Glad I,m not at school anymore, no wonder my d,s hates school :lol: .......it,s all ab..surd going to do my washing now with some soap surds :lol: ........Lisa >:D<<'> >:D<<'> hugs for you and yours that would definitely stress me out :tearful:

LOL at Suze!

Just spoke to Chris - not the only one struggling apparently - have told him to come and look on here and look at the website Phasmid put a link to. He says he's going to stick at it for a couple of weeks, review all his previous work this weekend, but if its not getting any easier he will think about changing course, IT possibly or history.

Lisa :P

blimey, ive never heard of surds before. I cant wait to get to grips with those, she says sarcastically whilst packing a case quickly lol . :wub: