Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Restricted Diet

I've been worried about Logans (2) diet for a long time as his eating has always been cr*p. He wouldn't take solids for the longest time, then his reflux and constipation problems meant he had a bad association with food and it was a struggle to get him to eat. Now he does eat a bit better, but has a really limited range of things he will eat.

I've read the thread below and see that this is fairly common which is good to know (and good to be able to tell my Mother who harps on at me about his eating).

How do you keep diets healthy though? His key food at the moment is crisps, he wouldn't eat anything else if you gave him the option. He has just taken a liking to apple which is a blessing but obviously its not a balanced diet for a growing child so do you give supplements? I dont mind giving him what he wants but hate thinking I'm setting him up for health problems later because of lack of proper nutrition!

Lynne

Edited by LLaverty

E's diet was a bit restricted when she was a toddler, and we asked for a referral to a dietician. She wasn't too concerned but to keep her covered prescribed a multi-vitamin for her called paediatric seratavit. It's not available over the counter, but my GP was happy to keep prescribing it for her. It comes as a powder, which you just mix into her juice or yogurt or something suitably runny. I couldn't detect any noticeable taste from the neutral one when we used it this way (it also comes in fruit flavoured options), and E certainly wasn't bothered by it. She was on it for about a year, then we took her off because we felt she was eating a better variety of foods. It was much easier than trying to give her anything which looks like a medicine!

My AS son is 11 and has dietry/eating problems since he was a tiny baby (starting with a sensitivity to cows milk and progressing from there).

I've been the recipient of all sorts of grief from well meaning folk who think he should be eating better (TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW!).

I've tried most things: - bribary, coercian, hiding veg in food he likes, throwing the food accross the room (I'm not proud of that one), getting him incredibly hungry and presenting him with 'real' food as the only thing available (the melt down from that one lasted for hours), the list of the methods I've tried is endless. Earlier this year, I had a small brainwave. What I've done is cut a deal with him. I'll let him eat the food he likes and promise not to present him within anything he doesn't like if he will cut out the foods that are really bad for him. He now doesn't eat fun pots ( :sick: children's version of pot noodle :sick: which he was addicted to), he drinks no fizzy drinks only water, cranberry juice or milk, he is allowed one packet of 'health option' crips a day and one other snack food). As a result (months later) he now eats more of the foods he likes that ARE good for you, none of the real nasties, and very very few of the 'treats'. He has also started being slightly more adventurous and trying new things (I put this down to the fact that he now feels more in control of what he will eat and less stressed about food).

The only supplement he takes is omega/3 and 6.

Basically what I'm saying is that you can try anything to get your child to eat, but if they don't want to eat (especially in the case of your little one who is 2) the end result is often stress and frustration for both of you.

Try and show a relaxed attitude, if he senses your anxiety he'll play up.

One thing I've found with my son (and this will probably be more so in the case of a toddler) is that I will put one food on his plate that I know he likes. The rest of us have that and other things (available in serving dishes at the table), you can bet your life that eventually they thing they are missing out on something that's on offer to everyone but them!! This can result in them wanting some of the same. The key for all of this is patience.

I could go on for pages, but I'm probably waffling!!

Good luck and hope anything I've mentioned you might find helpful.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

Hi,

Kai age 7,(ADHD/ASD) is a very fussy eater and always has been.

He basically eats the same things everyday, so to balance the diet more i give him multivitamins. He also doesn't eat any meat or greens, so i also give him a natural iron supplement.

The only fruit and veg he will eat are apples, bananas, carrots and mushrooms, so i make sure he has them everyday (so boring!).

It may be worth talking to your Health Visitor as she may be able to advise you on supplements. I would NOT give them to Logan without professional advice as he is only 2. Lots of toddlers live on a very restricted diet and do ok.

Loulou x