Sign in to follow this  
UltraMum

Sticky Carpet - can't get it clean ...

Help - on tidy up mode and have just discovered multi sticky patches on lounge carpet. :o

I have removed the obvious debris but am left with large 'splat' of stickiness which i have made worse by trying to scrub. :(

I think that the sticky bits were remains of a fruit 'Winder' - anyone got any ideas how to get the 'splat' off?

Please! the in-laws are coming in 2 weeks!

Hi,

sorry not had this particular problem with carpets, anyone know how to remove trodden in blu-tak ? I suspect they may have similar solutions.

I can only think of trying the chewing gum solution, freeze the spot with ice-cubes and then try chipping it off.

Once we had someone come out to try and remove a huge tomato soup stain from the living room carpet, he used a little pick type tool to lift the pile of the carpet before he attempted to remove the stain. He told me that rubbing away at a stain (which I'd done, of course) just rubs it further in and flattens the pile making the affected patch even more noticeable !

You might need a solvent to shift it, good luck !

wac

Hi, I've had this problem!!! With fruit winders too. :sick:

Nothing I did removed the goo, it was there to stay. Luckily it was a very old carpet and we pulled it up when we decorated.

Sorry this was highly unhelpful! Just couldn't believe the cooincidence!

Lauren

Hi, I've had this problem!!! With fruit winders too.  :sick:

Nothing I did removed the goo, it was there to stay.  Luckily it was a very old carpet and we pulled it up when we decorated.

Sorry this was highly unhelpful!  Just couldn't believe the cooincidence!

AAAH! - :wallbash: it's an Axminster - we bought it 7 years ago so it would last! :wallbash:

I can only think of trying the chewing gum solution, freeze the spot with ice-cubes and then try chipping it off.

I'll try the ice trick - just put the picnic things in the freezer - I think they'll be a bit less messy than ice!

last idea, buy a large rug !

I should have stuck out for laminate!

Thanks for the ideas. :)

Hi,

You can hire one of those steam carpet cleaners pretty cheaply. Luckily my Mum has her own, so i borrowed it and went over the sticky spots on my carpet about 5 times and it came clean.

Loulou x

Steam cleaner or a Vax, I know Homebase near me hire steam cleaners, but sometimes with an expensive carpet you are best off paying a company to do it as they are (or at least should be) covered by their own insurance. (always check they are insured)

Sorry, I don't have a solution (apart from carpet cleaner solution) :rolleyes:

but I do remember reading that you should never put hot water on a sugary stain.

My hubbie managed to drop Calpol on my new carpet years ago, I never did manage to get it out, the stain was still there when I got rid of the carpet last year.

I think a vax cleaner would be best but I would only use tepid water.

Good luck!

Nellie xx

Mu Mum says white vinegar and a warm, but not hot sponge, dipped in water that is She says that you then rub in a circular motion, making your circle bigger as you go. She heard this on Daytime TV and has not actually tried it herself.

Carole

Thanks eveeryone for the replies. :)

I seem to have 'sliced' off the top layer with the ice packs - I must admit I was considering a Vax or something similar.

I think my friend in Sheffield has one so I'll see if I can borrow it.

:oops:

We used to use some stuff called Zoff. Comes in a little bottle and got most things off. We used to get it from the chemist. I really don't know if it is still available though. Phas jr once had an 'Art Attack' on a Sunday afternoon when we dozzed off after lunch. We were woken by a very exctied Phas jr who could not understand our dismay. We just grabbed the nearest thing to hand, baby wipes, and scrubbed (...exactly what is in baby wipes?) It worked.

Another tip, for any (and I mean ANY) liquid spillage pour on lemonade throw on a towel and stamp on it to soak it up - even works on a pale carpet and red wine!

We do the towel stamp :lol:

Even our youngest will go and get a towel and start furiously stamping on what he's just spilled. Come to think of it, he should be made the family stamper :dance:

Mother Eve,

hadn't thought of using ice packs !

No suggestions for removing stamped in blu-tak then :(

wac

I'll let you in on a couple little secrets. If the rug has been shampooed or cleaned before, all you might need is hot water. Most of the time, too much cleaner is left in the carpet and it acts as a dirt magnet.
If you do need a cleaner, get a bottle of Tide HE Free & Clear laundry detergent. Use no more than 1/4 cup per TWO (2) gallons of hot hot water. Lay down a mist of the solution over a 4' x 4' area, scrub it in with a broom or the wand, then extract it using fresh solution and the suction on the wand.
Carpet is cloth fibers. Clothes are cloth fibers. I had one high traffic area of stains that was just not coming up with anything else I was trying. Tried this and the staining is totally gone. It worked where my professional chemicals were coming up short.
I must repeat, 1/4 cup per 2 gal is the MAXIMUM you want to use. Half of that concentration (1/4 cup per FOUR (4) gallons) is better if the carpet is not stained.