Sign in to follow this  
hev

stevens officially obese

went to CAHMS and they weighed him and hes 12 years old and hes 13 and half stone,thats awful isent it,i cant believe i let him get so big,i mean im the one buying the food,its made me realise trying to compensate by giving him food when he had no friends or was fed up or to be honest if he was playing me up and kept on and on about food i would give in,he is never ever full up,i have to change our lifestyle completely otherwise hes going to end up really ill,being big makes children a target with other kids let alone having aspergers,me and him are eating healthily together,i dont keep on about diets to him i am just not buying the sugary foods anymore and buying more of the fruit he likes,i had to write this post as i feel so awful

I have a 4 year old who is, its heartbreaking tbh but he has a massive appetite. He was on steroids for asthma when he was little which never helped. Was also not able to be as active due to his asthma. Unfortunately asthma is back this week in a big way and he's back on the steroids.

Average morning before the changes - 2 adult size portions of cereal, 2 slices toast, 4 scotch pancakes and 2 pints of milk (between 7am and 9am) and he was just under 4 years old, and still hungry.

He is extremely tall for his age, 3ft 11 but he's 5 1/2 stone. He was 6 1/2 stone before xmas last year and shorter.

What I did -

1. Threw out the deep fryer and all the oil- replaced with grilling machine and spray oil ( TBH I used this as it was quicker but now it takes longer in the oven but has much less fat)

2. Emptied all high fat and sugar foods out of the house, threw most in the bin, donated some to a charity fair.

3. Changed what I buy, less treats as such, more fresh fruit etc Wrote a list everytime I went shopping and bought only what I needed.

4. Stopped him drinking as much milk, he'd drink up to 6 pints a day if allowed :blink:

5. Bought smaller plates

6. Used an alternative award to awarding with sweets and other food treats

Now its just a case of keeping an eye on him and writing down what he's eaten. Its time consuming but it made me realise better how much he was having and I was horrified.

He's stopped loosing weight much but he's loosing a little and gaining in height.

I have the opposite problem with his brother who is underweight and loosng weight due to medication and needs high calorie foods etc which is the most difficult part, saying yes to one and no to the other

Good luck in making the changes you want to make, what I will say is make them ones you can live with, healthier lifestyle rather than a diet.

Edited by lil_me

My sons diet is atrocious due to sensory issues and he was getting to be on the plump side. A few months back we strated taking him for a stroll every evening and on a Wednesday he goes to a 'spinning' class at the gym. Its for teenagers and they have been marvellous to him, the person sitting next to him changes the gear for him according to the pace, he really enjoys it and its good for the other kids as well to be with him. When I was enquiring about him joining up I just said to the lady, "would you like to make a difference in the life of an autistic teenager," she jumped at the chance and said, "yes, it will be good for all of us."

Anyway he has now trimmed down and just last week got his first pair of age approporiate jeans - withought an elasticated/drawstring waist. He looked to die for B)B)B)B)

I think if we had wanted him to bodybuild etc the gym would have said no as he is too young but as its an aerobic class they were happy to let him have a go, what he does is really no different from NT kids playing football/rugby or going for a long bike ride at the wekend.

hth