Sign in to follow this  
~Jonathan~

Gay & Aspie?

Hiya,

I've been looking for quite some time now for anything relating to living with AS or an ASD and being gay and haven't really found very much. Wendy Lawson is an openly gay adult living with AS but aside from her, I've found very little. Are there any other sites that people know of?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Hi Jonathon -

Blimey, you're right... The internets not exactly bursting with links is it? trying to help out i tried a few different search engines yesterday with 'autism' and 'sexuality'. lots of links to the same few articles, none of which particularly relevant...

Using your link to wendy lawson's page, she offers a link to the 'autism webring' - perhaps you could try there? Also, if you got her published work from your local library there might be a references section that could be helpful?

Sorry can't offer anything more positive, but at very least i'll have bumped this topic up, and someone with more knowledge might pick up on it...

Very best

BD :D

Hi Jonathan

I am not sure if there is a specific forum, but if you follow this link

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

It will take you to the OASIS delphi forum which is mainly aimed at parents (And is where many of us here first heard aboutr this message board) BUT once you have joined Delphi (You need a delphi account to get access) and the forum you will find a drop-down list entitled 'Other Aspie Forums' where you will find a number of forums aimed at people with Aspergers and Autism(Aspie Hangout and the like). If you do some searches and post some questions, you may well find what you are looking for.

Simon

Thank you to those who have replied thus far.

I appreciate what you've written.

I'll look into the Delphi forums.

Cheers!

I found this which I'm going to order off when I have the pennies.

Edited by ~Jonathan~

And I thought I had lots of labels ... :lol:

I'm pansexual

Please excuse my ignorance - I haven't come across this term before? :unsure: (yes, I probably do live in a bubble!)

Please excuse my ignorance - I haven't come across this term before? :unsure: (yes, I probably do live in a bubble!)

Bascially means the potential to be attracted to anybody regardless of gender identity or biological sex, trans people, intersex. I'm more attracted to a persons intellect and personality rather than a particular gender.

Bascially means the potential to be attracted to anybody regardless of gender identity or biological sex, trans people, intersex. I'm more attracted to a persons intellect and personality rather than a particular gender.

I'd never heard of pansexual either (pans people yes but thats a whole different thing- I think :rolleyes:). Anyway I found this interesting because my ds has no clue about who he is or isn't "supposed" to like - ie girls or boys. He is nearly 10 and will often say something about a boy in the way you'd expect it to be about a girl. I just wondered if this was an asd thing. Up to now I had perhaps put it down to maturity - or lack of it.

Me Too! I mean, confused by the term Pansexual!

I like nice things to cook with though......sorry, bad joke! :lol:

im confused to whats the difference between this and someone who is bisexual???

Try this link

http://www.optimnem.co.uk/about.php

I've read Daniel Tammet's book which makes mention of him being gay and living with his partner but in terms of it being an issue with explanation then its not covered. You could always email him for advice.

The book is very good and although he explains how he carries out the mental arithmetic I still don't understand how he does it.

im confused to whats the difference between this and someone who is bisexual???

Bisexual implies that you are attracted to the two genders only whereas pansexual is all gender identities such as genderqueer, intersex etc.

OK, probably going slightly off topic here (and apologies to anyone if I use non-PC language - it's not my area of expertise so no offence intended). Something I've been wondering about for a long time - given Baron-Cohen's theory of AS being related to higher levels of foetal testosterone (hence the male-brain theory), and given that testosterone is the male sex hormone, is there a higher incidence of non-heterosexuality, transexuality etc. in AS females (in the physical, what you're born as sense) than in the general female population? :unsure:

(oh, and no offence to the lipstick aspies out there who definitely identify as female, either. I'm purely interested, because in many ways I've not yet got over the tom-boy stage and I certainly fit a lot of what SBC says about the male-brain theory :))

OK, probably going slightly off topic here (and apologies to anyone if I use non-PC language - it's not my area of expertise so no offence intended). Something I've been wondering about for a long time - given Baron-Cohen's theory of AS being related to higher levels of foetal testosterone (hence the male-brain theory), and given that testosterone is the male sex hormone, is there a higher incidence of non-heterosexuality, transexuality etc. in AS females (in the physical, what you're born as sense) than in the general female population? :unsure:

(oh, and no offence to the lipstick aspies out there who definitely identify as female, either. I'm purely interested, because in many ways I've not yet got over the tom-boy stage and I certainly fit a lot of what SBC says about the male-brain theory :))

I know that my mum had higher levels of testosterone as she had PCOS. There is a rather large portion of the FTM community that are on the spectrum as well. I wondered if there was a greater percentage of people in the trans population that are on the spectrum than in the general population. *thinks* I never really thought I was different until a bit later on because the gap between and my peers didn't widen until puberty, only then I noticed something was different. I just thought I was a boy like my cousins. :whistle:

Bisexual implies that you are attracted to the two genders only whereas pansexual is all gender identities such as genderqueer, intersex etc.

I thought there were only 2 gender identities???? the rest all being mental identities???? ie you are gentically born male or female???? having surgery doesn change your actual genetic sex only what you look like????

I am the only one who finds this all very confusing??

:robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie:

I am the only one who finds this all very confusing??

No. From what I understand, and a discussion we had at college, the difference is between the terms sex (i.e. your physical sexual characteristics) and gender (how you feel you are). But I could be very wrong and confusing the matter further.

No. From what I understand, and a discussion we had at college, the difference is between the terms sex (i.e. your physical sexual characteristics) and gender (how you feel you are). But I could be very wrong and confusing the matter further.

No you are right Mumble.