Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Certainty and clearly defined targets

Do people with AS have a liking for certainty and clearly defined targets as opposed to vague unclear targets and no guarantee they will get what they want at the end.

An example of this is that if you promised to buy your kid a game console if they submitted 10 pieces of homework to a grade A standard this term, then they would be likely to try and complete 10 pieces of homework to a grade A standard. If for example you told your kid you would think about buying them a game console if they submitted enough pieces of good homework, then they would probably not achieve 10 pieces to a grade A standard because you haven't told them exactly what is wanted nor have you promised to buy the game console. They may also assume that you won't really buy them the game console and it is just a con trick you are playing on them to make them do some work.

With Com, and several other AS people I know (adults included), you are probably right about not working harder because the target is too unclear to focus on but absolutely wrong about feeling conned or not believing you will buy the console.

there are only two answers in Com's receptive vocabulary; yes and no.

Anything else means what he wants it to mean, usually yes. In this case it would be yes you will buy the console if I hand in homework - the grades are too unclear so they are unimportant - let's just focus on what is really important here; Com getting a console :P

Zemanski

I would say 'yes'.

And if it was Auriel, he would then proceed to try and 'bargain' a better deal! :lol::lol:

Bid :)

I have a lot of AS qualities myself, and I hate anything open-ended or nebulous. It makes me panic and feel :sick:

But, perversely, I can then get side-tracked and over-focus on something that isn't actually that central... :hypno:

In my experience, you can't offer a huge reward like a game console without your child feeling uncertain about the outcome until you've done the same thing with smaller targets and shown that you can be trusted to come up with the goods. We operate a tokens and rewards system here and it works because of consistency, but I know that if I ever let slip it will fall apart. J knows that my Yes means Yes and No means No, there are never any grey areas and I fully explain any non-obvious possibilities beforehand.

So, saying you'll 'think about' getting the console is probably not enough, I suspect even for a non-AS child. Targets have to be clearly defined or they'll just think there's no point in even trying.

Karen

x

I'm not sure that the magnitude of reward has much influence here either - Com would probably not see the console as any more important than a magic card or a non-uniform day, why bother offering a huge expensive reward when a nice little one will do?

It's all about his system of values not ours.

This is probably why lots of little rewards are more effective than one big one which you have to maintain focus on over time - each time you get an A in your homework I'll buy you a magic the gathering booster pack is much more likely to get 10 As than offering one game console

I use money for homework with Com, he is very, very obsessed with money. He gets his pocket money each week and then a pound extra for having completed his homework without having a fit over it - works a treat and reinforces his efforts to cooperate on a weekly basis

Zemanski

You always need to have a clearly defined target. Always. It is the only way to maintain a solid and steady schedule of reinforcement and have the child learn your word is true. Further many children on the spectrum feel a self-reinforcing satisfaction with completing a task, so it is important to give a feasible goal, and get the child started.

Lots of small reinforcers are good at first. They should be paired with lots of praise so eventually praise is reinforcing in itself. Once a schedule of reinforcement is established use fewer reinforcers, more praise and an occasional big reinforcer (remember to clearly state the target and reinforcer)

Finally it is very important that the reinforcer is not of monetary value, but value to the child. The child determines what he wants, and will always work harder for those items.