Sign in to follow this  
helenl53

Tribunal Tomorrow

Hi All,

Tomorrow is the big day and I think I am in need of a mass finger crossing excercise!

It seems hard to believe that after two very difficult years I will get my chance to put the case for my son.

If it doesn't go our way, I will be disappointed but at least I know that reasonable (I hope) people have listened and I have been told that my son will be at the heart of their deliberations and not money.

Love from Helen with a bit of a nervous tum. :blink:

Hi Helen :)

I wish you all the luck in the world! :pray::pray::pray:

Its not so bad, i've been 3 times and i had really nice people sitting on my panel.

The only down side was the LEA, but they made thereselves look pretty stupid in the end.

I will be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed! Good Luck! :pray::pray:

Helen, >:D<<'>

I've had everything crossed for the last week, I started early! I shall be thinking of you tomorrow and :pray: that you have a successful outcome.

Nellie xx

Hi Guys

We are back - won't know the result for a week or two and will post the blow by blow tomorrow.

Very washed out - two years struggle has been decided and I don't know the outcome - but my first thoughts are - it was tough but we have to do it and I am now looking forward (whatever the outcome) to train with IPSEA to be a Tribunal advocate as I know know from personal experience, what it is like.

Love and thanks for all your kind thoughts and best wishes

Helen

Good to have you back Helen. I am sure that you gave them all a run for there money. Now try and unwind and have a glass or two of :wine::wine: grape nectar.

>:D<<'>

Carole

Helen,

What a day, you must be kkkkknackered!! I'm sure you did a great job, I'm keeping everthing crossed. I hope the result comes sooner rather than later.

Nellie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Guys,

Those of you who know who my Psycho witness was will know that he is very laid back and doesn't give much away.

He said that I was fantastic and that he couldn't have asked me to present the case any other way. He said that he had been worried about how I would be - he said that I was focussed and that I was like a terrier and made them tell the truth.

He said that although I knew my case, I still came across as a parent.

The outcome may not be what we would like, but I have come home tired but not beating myself up.

The old man was superb as well - he backed me up and more. I was so worried (he has AS) that he would say, well I never had support and look at me :wacko:

Anyways up - I just came to the computer to find FOOD that will come to my door :rolleyes:

Speak tomoorow

Love

Helen

hi guys i just wanted to let you all know that i know helen, i know the effort she has put into this and i know that despite all this has helped me and many other people imensly.

helen, i really hope that the results go your way, but you know that in the end you have done everything reasonably practicle for your son. you should be proud. what you have done for your son goes beyond any parental responsability. you are an inspiration. you have taught me to fight and carry on even when i have felt knackerd and worthless as a parent.

you know that i stand by you now and any help i can give you in the future i am here for you. lets suck it to em my dear!! to the rottweiler love the pitbull hehehehe! good on you girly you give it your best shot! :thumbs::thumbs::clap::clap:

Hi Helen,

Whoever said that divorce, death and moving house are the most traumatic things people can go through obviously haven't had to deal with schools, LEAs or tribunals :wacko:

The chipmunks have still got their fingers and toes crossed for you. Hope you don't have to wait too long.

Love,

Annie

XX

Hi Helen,

I'm sorry I missed the chance to wish you luck yesterday but well done for holding it all together today and I really hope the outcome is good. :pray::pray:

K

Hi helen-

what with all the outs my end and the forum outs this end I didn't get the chance,

but late or not VERY VERY best.

Hope you finally get to hear just what you wanted to hear... keep us posted

L&P

BD

Hi Helen,

I hope you will get the "right" answer soon put your feet up, I wish you all the luck in the world as the LEA and SENDIST experience are in fact very draining, Let us know asap

Best wishes.

Malika. ;)

Hi Guys

Today was the two week deadline - and - still no news!

How are my nerves? - absolutely rock steady - not!

Phoned the Decision section of SENDIST and apparently the Chair emailed to say that he has sent the decision to the two lay people for their final approval.

This Chair is known to send his stuff in by snail mail and so I am hoping it will get there tomorrow - the Decisions dept have said they will email it, only if the lea agree to this method.

I have come to a million different conclusions as to why it could have been so late, but if I think positively,(and I must) then it is because we had requested so many amendments to parts 2 and 3 (we did have the reports and evidence to support this) and that these would need to have been checked back to the evidence before the Chair could agree them or not. Ordinarily this would have been done during the Hearing, but a certain LEA used some very underhand tactics to try and get the hearing abandoned and as a result, we were adjourned for over an hour whilst the Chair checked out their claims. They were unfounded but he told them that as a result of the morning proceedings, he and the panel would be taking a view on Parts 2 and 3. So I think that perhaps they are dotting i's and crossing t's to avoid a High Court Challenge.

On the other hand, if I am being pessimistic - they are trawling obscure case law to find a way to say no to the amendements at parts 2 and 3 and no to school named at part 4.

I have been afraid to post about what happened at the hearing due to being a tad superstitious.

It has however, given me the confidence to now help some of my friends who have been knocked back on the statutory assessment request.

A friend who is a volunteer for IPSEA seems to think that if it was bad news, we would have got it sooner rather than later.

Whatever the outcome, I still think that parents need to appeal to Tribunal in order to get the outside world to see what their LEA's are doing. At the moment, we get knocked back and it just seems to be too much to go to Tribunal. With the support of NAS amd IPSEA - we can do it.

Best wishes

Stressed Eric (that was my old name on this forum till it was sabotaged)

AKA HelenL

PS Tez - how was the holiday

Oh Alvin - I am absolutely fit for nothing at the moment - although Carole will tell you - I am still giving them a bit of welly - but I need closure on this before I can really get back to normal.

I just did a lovely long post on the future of statements and the blinking forum went down! - and I lost it.

Keep it all crossed till it is done and dusted.

Best wishes

HelenL

Hi Guys

The decision was not favourable for us.

Currently my son is well supported and happy at a small independent school which has plenty of experience of kids such as my lad. When he started there, he was self harming and had Tourettes all brough about by a years stint in a local mainstream which I had been told would be able to meet his needs. They didn't.

Paediatrician got involved as there were serious difficultys. However, due to their lack of understanding and ability, I was left with one very damaged lad.

By chance we heard about his current school and put him there. The change in him has been astonishing. He has gone from a complete basket case last September to the boy I have today who had been signed off by the Paediatrician because he is so well and settled.

However, the proposal put by the LEA was that he could have his needs met in any one of their schools and that his needs had been met in his previous school.

Our local school was named by them on the statement. Despite, the SENCO not really knowing how they would support Jordan other than by withdrawing him from the classroom and letting him go with the TA to the Home Economics room or wherever there was space, along with the low ability kids in the year group who would be having their numeracy and lteracy lessons. My lad is not a low ability boy and he would not be able to cope with being withdrawn nor without the challenge of a carefully differentiated lesson.

All of his support is delivered at the moment by the whole school - he only needs 3 hours week individual tuition for his difficulties and these are undertaken before school starts. The proposal was that he would need 17.5 hours TA support at mainstream plus 7 hours speech and language support - but all to be delivered by a TA.

I have very very many friends who are TA's and I have the utmost respect for them so I do not have any kind of hang up about TA's, but I beleive that my boy is entitled to be taught by a teacher if he is to be INCLUDED - removing him to a room with other kids for his schools days is EXCLUSION.

However, the Tribunal found for the LEA - that his needs could be met by TA support and that despite the problems at the previous school, they decided on balance to accept the evidence of the end of year school report from them that my son presented as a happy child for most of the time and that as he was achieving, then that was OK.

I think that there are a number of you on this forum who will know exactly how I feel at this moment.

However - I am delighted that my child is at this school - today when I was crying and tried to tell him that nothing was going to change - daddy and I would not let him go to another school - he said "Phew I am really glad - I like my school because I feel like a normal child there".

Don't you want to just read and weep for our kids

Love

HelenL

PS - Guys - you can uncross them now!

Helen,

I'm gutted for you. I guess that most of us will just have to accept that the Education system, and those that police it, will never understand the needs of our kids and so many of us will have to take the hard decision to either home educate or pay for private education. I'm glad that your son is now happy and achieving, I'm disgusted that you are going to have to continue to pay to keep it that way. Did they not pay any attention at all to the medical evidence?

Sorry, I'm choked so I know you must feel absolutely awful. Hope things start to improve soon.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Helen,

I really don't know what to say without the use of lots of **?!!**.

Will these people ever see sense?

lots of >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> to you all,

Annie and some very unhappy chipmunks

XX

Helen,

Edith here - I am so upset for you, been thinking of you for the last couple of weeks. It is obvious that J is in the right place now and they have got INCLUSION right. The suggestions by the other school that J should be removed from his peers at certain times is totally wrong and I agree that he shouldn't have teaching delivered by an LSA. All children are entitled to a teacher. And the idea that he is removed to the Home Economics room or wherever there's space, that is pathetic.

On a positive note, I'm glad that you have found the ideal placement for your son and are keeping him there. I wish you all the best.

You had a strong case, they chose to ignore it. You did your best and should be proud of yourself.

Love and best wishes

SV