Sign in to follow this  
Flora

news item on depression

This is quite disturbing. I can foresee a situation where therapy is not available due to resourcung isues and doctors won't prescribe medication because NICE have come out against it, potentially leaving the child without any help at all.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

The flip side is equally disturbing. Medication is thrown at a problem as a quick fix solution and not properly reviewed or monitored, and I don't think there is much research into the effects of powerful antidepressants on young people. Who knows how many doctors prescribe drugs to cover up their own inexpertise.

My daughter has been on antidepressant medication for 18 months now, three different kinds, and we are still looking for competent therapeutic support. I agree the solution to the shortage of therapists is not to deny medication: but it worries me that drugs are so freely and easily prescribed, particularly when is is an educational solution that is needed.

I agree, I was not happy for my son to take anti-depressants, but there was no counselling available through CAMHS at all. The psychiatrist did talk to him and establish that although he was talking about killing himself, he had not made any plans how to do it. He was however refusing to eat. I have been searching for counselling for him for two years . We are now going to Relate Family Counselling - but she has little experience of Aspergers and R is feeling better anyway, so is not much use.

I raised this issue at the "Children and Young Peoples Plan" Consultation today. The man said that 10% of children have significant mental health issues - but there is no counselling available in this area.

Karen

worries me that drugs are so freely and easily prescribed, particularly when is is an educational solution that is needed.

Kathryn, You've hit the nail right on the head there

Lauren

The problem is, our kids sometimes do need those drugs just to get by till that therapy is offered, and it is obviously only offered to very few.

I myself have been waiting for counselling since May, my youngest desperately needs counselling as a sibling of AS child, and I have been told that his waiting list is even longer than mine. So what is one supposed to do meanwhile?

And yes, please change AS sons environment, i.e. school! Just, school as usual says that there is nothing wrong, they are doing all they can, they can not imagine him behaving like I say he does at home, etc etc etc :wallbash::wallbash: Maybe changing the nations attitude first might be easier? :wacko:

Even when the therapy is finally offered it may be ineffective. You have to take pot luck with your local Camhs which may or may not have a therapist with experience of ASD.