Sign in to follow this  
007paul007

O/T Jamie Oliver & School dinners

Well I wonder what Jamie Oliver thinks now ? The school where he launched his meals campaign has one of the highest truant rates in the country and some of the other schools are refusing to eat the food , I think this goes bakc to what I said about freedom of choice , if they ha dof given them a choice to eat what jamie has suggested and the old meals then it might of worked, but not to force it entirely on them. I wonder what happens now ?

I live in Greenwich and that particular school was probably the worst in the borough. It's actually doing better now than in previous years although it still has a terrible reputation. Unfortunately the LEA in their wisdom have decided that the new ASD unit (the boroughs one and only) will be in this particular school. There is no way on this earth, ASD unit or not, that my children would go to that school. I'd rather keep them at home. I can't think of a worst place for an ASD child.

I would however, wish that the neighbouring boroughs (where my son now goes) would adopt the Jamie Oliver dinners. The children have got used to it and are eating healthy food, some of them have probably never had the opportunity to even try before. The school you're talking about is in a very poor area of Greenwich with many families with social problems. These problems don't go away by changing the food the children eat at lunchtime. I think Jamie Oliver has done a brilliant job!!

Lisa

Within twenty years we are going to have a generation (fat and thin) with health problems. There are a lot of thin young adults with high cholesterol and blood pressure.

Some young mothers do not have the cooking skills to bring their children up on healthy food. They also do not understand all the additives in food especially turkey twizzlers (you need a science degree to understand the labeling system)

Bring up a healthy generation relies on young people changing their habits. School children are more likely to try different things with there peers than at home.

We are what we eat, so if we are not putting good food into ourselves this will have an affect on our bodies.

Young children are now being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. There are a thousands of people who have diabetes but have not been diagnosed. (Once you have signs of diabetes type 2 50% of people already have complications).

We need to change the way we eat and starting with young children will help to reverse that trend.

One well know fast food resteurants say if you promote advertings to under 5s they you have them for life. Obviously the parents go where the child wants to eat.

Jen

I have problems with getting my 7 year old to expand his diet. He will eat chicken dippers, sausages, cheese,

Fish coins, Cooked white pasta,waffles, smiley faces, cheese strings, pepperami. He will not touch anything that has a "wet" texture so what I have to do is send a packed lunch with cheese sandwiches, drink, cereal bar and an apple. At night he will have chicken dippers/sausages/pizza/fish coins then i either make a huge salad with , carrots,celery,sweetcorn, apples, oranges, melon,tomatoes, cucumber etc or he will have cooked white pasta (nothing on it!) and a big corn on the cob with it and salad etc.

I have tried to get him to try a more healthy meal but he just will not. So I have to give him the healthy things alongside it and he always eats stacks of fruit and raw veg like carrots etc, I just try my best.

It's not because I am lazy or uneducated, it's just that it is a real battle where food is concerned, it has to be the same things all the time!!!!!!!!!

I know that the health visitors would say if they don't eat it let them go hungry but my son seems to have sensory issues with texture of food etc.

Oh well onwards and upwards!!!! >:D<<'>

Edited by reuby2

My eight year old has to try one new vegetable evey sunday. He has a tiny bit and swallow alot of water at the same time. He will not eat roast parsnips (it did take 6 months for him to eat a whole piece). He will also now eat peas (its taken 6 years for him to eat peas) He says he does not like peas but he will eat them.

Hence, I understand how difficult it is to get children to change epecially our special children.

Do you think GOD ever looked down on us and said parenting was difficult so he would see how supper parents cope!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen