Sign in to follow this  
Viper

parent governors

Got a letter from school today asking for nominations to become a parent governor, after all the problems I have had recently I laughed like a drain at the thought of the heads face if she saw my name. I might try just for the laugh :devil: Do you think I stand a chance? :lol:

Viper.

I started as a parent governor earlier this year, I was asked to do it by the Head rather than elected. I am doing my first training course this weekend which is all about SEN.

I'm sure your sons Head would love to have you as part of the team, if she objects I would love to see her reasons.

Edited by lil_me

Hi Viper,

Yes you stand a chance but I would hesitate if I were you. Probably going to be shot at dawn now. It can actually be harder to get what you need for your own kids with SEN when you are on the inside, than it is when you are on the outside. I say that because you are there for 'every' child who attends the school and not just your own. I found it much harder to bat for my own son because of this.

But it is just my personal opinion.

Carole

Guest flutter

depend on what you want out if it i suppose

can see both sides:

would upset head :bat: all for that at mo B)

but would it help you and yours ?

and can you cope with extra cr*p

Cx

My main point I have made is I am willing to do it for the school as a whole. Every child there matters, I have another son there myself. There are several children with SEN who are getting a rough deal at the mo as the school don't really know what they are mean't to be doing for them, aswell as the none SEN children who are suffering because of it, and I'd like to be able to help them all if possible. Maybe I am in a dream world but I'll give it my best shot.

Edited by lil_me

I suspect that the path to independent special schooling for my son was made easier because of my years of 'service' as a school governor. Rather than having to battle I was given a green light all the way through.

I also enjoy helping the school improve as a whole.

I was asked to be a parent Governor by the Head of the Twins school, even though I was a pain in her side. At one stage it looked likely that I would be standing before the exclusion panel! I think she appreciates that I challenge her over things that others don't.

I have a special interest in the SEN at the school, but also in the school as a whole. It is easier in some ways now that I am not a parent (I don't have to think about what I say, in case I heard it via the Govs and it is not general knowlege), but also harder ( as I don't have such a feel for the school, and I don't hear the playground gossip).

Karen

If you can comit and have the energy / time, go for it. Beleieve it or not it will make you less of a "pain" because they will see you diferently and becasue you will lear what make them tick

one reason head often make recomendations

go for gold :ninja:

J

Go for it...but, as mentioned do it for the school and not your children. As long as you are not disqualified for any reason and you get the nominations the head CANNOT stop you. You learn one hell of a lot and it can be hard work...but rewarding. You might be the only parent of a 'disabled child' (horrible term for AS but you know what I mean) on the governing body - Reality check for them perhaps?

I'm a governor at my children's school. I became chair several years ago. I took on the job before I'd even realised that one of my children had an ASD.

To do the job properly, and to make sure that I'm still there as a parent for my children, I decide which "hat" I'm wearing for a particular job and stick with it. If I'm doing something as a governor, I am a governor. If I'm sorting out things for my children, I'm their mum first and foremost and only interested in their welfare.

But it does have ups and downs. Some LEA Advisory staff who come to see my son see it as a threat to them that I'm Chair of Governors, even though I have never told them that I am. They often mention it and then wait for my reaction - which is usually not the one they expect! One LEA special advisor told me after a particularly long session about my son's statement that he was surprised - but pleased - that I hadn't tried to throw my weight around as CoG!!!! But when I'm concentrating on my son's needs I don't have time to worry about anything else - we all know what an uphill struggle it is!

On the whole I find the job very rewarding, though stressful at times (like Ofsted visits, or the current whole school staffing structure review). But I think you have to do it for the right reason, otherwise it could soon become very messy!

I've just done it! Hads my very first Governor meeting last night. Already I feel more empowered to make a difference to the school where my son attends.

I say go for it - you can always pull out.