Sign in to follow this  
Brook

A Guide to Classroom Practice...

Hi all,

This may already be on here somewhere but, I added it to my favourites for future ref,

thought it may come in handy for some of you.

Apologies in advance if it's not any use :D

http://www2.deni.gov.uk/inspection_service...20Disorders.pdf

Brook ;)

Just thought, maybe I should have put it in the education topics :oops:

Edited by Brook

Brook

Thanks for posting this - it's really interesting.

Sometimes, when you read something like this, you can almost understand the point of view of the teacher who might think that it is just too much to take on, on top of a busy class of other kids each with their own issues.

It isn't enough to give information - although it's taken long enough for that - this booklet clearly shows the need for significantly more help in the classrooms for all children with an ASD, and not just those with a statement. I only wish that teachers would campaign for this, rather than (as in my experience) simply understating and ignoring the needs of the child.

Hi Elanor,

I agree with what you say about teachers thinking it's too much to take on but, if this 'inclusion' is going to work for ASD children then I think that things like this are vital, as it can all too quickly go down the pan (so to speak :D ) then where does it leave the children, constantly anxious and unable to cope. This then has a knock on effect in the class, so I think it benefits all in the long run, but surely with these things put in place and used consistently it can only be of benefit.

I think things like this should be compulsory training for anyone having dealings with an ASD child. If only. :pray:

Brook :)

Brrok, thank you soooo much for this link. It fits my son to a tee but without a dx, can't go issuing stuff to his crappy teacher until I KNOW he has an ASD but it's really annoying b/c many people feel he has it but yet he's treated normally in school. Fine in many aspects but not when it comes to times when he's clearly finding things difficult and she's insisting that his LSA does NOT help him and then wonders why he goes off on one! :angry:

Once i get that dx, this printed out booklet will be shoved in her face!!!

Thanks brook! >:D<<'>

Thanks Brook,

I've printed it out, I thought it might come in useful in getting my thoughts together to explain my eldest son's behaviour in school. When faced with my son's teacher (also the SENCO) I just start to ramble on nervously and get nowhere... :(

wac

Thanks for this Brook,

I have had it on my favourites for ages and I thought it was already on the forum but I can't locate it.

I will put it into resources, it will be easier to find there.

Nellie xx