kaz

Have you ever been put on antidepressants?

Have you ever been on Anti Depressants because of the stress of having and AS child/partner?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been on Anti Depressants because of the stress of having and AS child/partner?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Used Herbal medication to help.
    • Refused when offered medication by the GP.Used to be on Anti Depressants but are not on them right now.

I have HUGE allergy problems and am so allergic to that many drugs that I have lost count now - so i have never dared try anti D's and the doctor has never dared give me them.

I used to like a glass of red wine but since I was given a possible dx of some kind of epilepsy I have been told not to touch that either :(

So I scream a lot now :lol:

Carole

Hi ;)

I never been on antidepressant for the last 13 years, I had a short period taking something called galopil (not too sure of the name) after my daughter birth because of PND. Which I found completly inefectif probably because my pb was more hormonal and severe anemia as well as living with my ex who eventualy was DX with narcissistic personality disorder. :sick:

Nearly 2 years ago I thought to ask my GP but eventualy was DX with hypothyroidism and started on thyroxin I am not at my best but things have improved, this is just because I am so much against the use of medication specialy to regulate moods. :(:)

Malika.

Hi,

I was dx Hypothyroidism in 1998 and was put on thyroxine and i've never felt like my pre thyroid problem self :tearful: I'm also on Venlafaxine for depression, been on them for over 2 years, my son was dx asd, which was a shock and a week later my daughter was born,died,resussitated and developed a serious bowel infection and had to have 2 ops :tearful:

I also have asthma so it's a carrier bag job picking up my scripts :whistle:

Clare :dance:

Hi clare, :)

well it seems that thyroxine is not always working I think it is because it is the same dose and not regulated according to the needs of the day?? :unsure:

I have as well asthma and an ayatus hernia as well as (may be?? have an appointment in charring cross hospital on monday 17 for DX) tarsal tunnel syndrome, my daughter who is 14 has Grave desease and may need her thyroid to be removed next summer, and my son has an ASD dx :wacko::blink:

I can only emphasise with you life gets too much sometimes when we have to cope with so many health issue the fact that the NHS is slow and not always competent :( does not help without talking about all the fights with school and LEA... :angry::wallbash::wallbash:

I really hope life will get a bit easier for you and you can come of anti depressant tablets as you probably know it may be connected as well with the thyroid pbs. :hypno:

Take care.

Malika.

Thanks Malika >:D<<'> But My blood pressure is up now and i have to go on meds for that aswell :( I'm dropping to bits :wacko: I'll need a wheelbarrow soon for all the meds :rolleyes: I hope you are well soon, is tarsal tunnel similar to carpal tunnel, I get occasional carpal tunnel, I had it really bad whilst pregnant and it's left mild numbness in my hands occasionally, I still wear the splints now and again.

Take Care

Clare >:D<<'>

Hi Clare :)

I feel sorry for you to have so many pbs at once I hope you will see some improvement in the future. :wub:

As you probably know already high blood pressure is often found in people with hypothyroidism, last month I have been told mine was too high :wacko: so I bought one of those machine to measure it regularly and found out it is quite acceptable, the only pbs seems to be that my blood pressure seems to be higher after I sleep it is like my body does not relax :hypno: when I reste in fact it is the lower number which is always too high.

As for tarsal tunnel syndrome it is the same pbs than carpal ... except that the feet are affected, I do not drive so I have to walk a lot which is good for the rest of the body but with painful consequences :crying: . I think it is as well connected to the thyroid pb because of water retention but I am not sure I may found out on the morning when I go to my appointment.

By the way are you sure you are taking enough thyroxin to keep you going :( , I have read somewhere that there is a possibility that hypothyroidism in mother when they are pregnant could induce autism for the child to come it may be interesting to do a pool and see how many mothers of children with ASD have eventualy been dx with Hypothyroidism??? B)

Anybody there for a new pool??? ;)

or anybody who would know more than me about the subject??? :) Carole may be!!??? ;)

Clare take care hope your health improve soon... >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Malika.

Good luck with your app. hope you get your feet sorted :pray: , i know how painful it can be >:D<<'> , when i was pregnant i cried with the pain in my hands.

The dr has just done another blood test and says my thyroid is ok :angry: It doesn't feel it :devil:

With both my bairns i had slow onset of labour and they bacame distressed so i ended up with 2 emerg sections, H was ok but was covered in muconium and he has severe asd. C was born dead and so far so good she seems to be developing ok. But i've always thought that my prob in labour and H's autism could be linked to hypothyroidism :tearful:

Take care

Clare >:D<<'>

Hi Clare, ;)

What I have read about thyroid is that most people blood test are not accurate, what I did with my GP I started to take 25 micro gr thyroxin more than what she had prescribed every each other day and told her :unsure: , on the test it was still ok, then after 2 month I told her that I had been feeling unwell and was taking 25mcgr more everyday instead of every each other day she was not too happy but I told her that I was over all feeling better even if I still have days when I cannot do much because I feel so sleepy, she told me to go for another test that was last month I have not been back since but the surgery did not contact me so I assume it is all right and over all I feel better. :D Execpt that I keep telling my GP what to do and she is getting annoyed with me! ;)

My apointment was quite an adventure so many people and a funny consultant :lol: who start talking to me in French not badly actualy I think he wanted to show he could talk French to his students who were there, well basicaly he said I probably have tarsal tunnel syndrome and may need an operation but before he wants me to get a neurophysiologic test on the nerves in my feet to see any damage or obstructions, this will take few months by the time they send me an appointment then another year for the operation a least :wallbash: I probably will have serious damage to my nerves :tearful: , well I'll see it may get better on it's own (unlikly) said the big boss to his students.

I ll try to find some staff on the net about thyroid and ASD then I could start a new thread :unsure:

Take care. :)

Malika

I have never taken anti depressants but I have contemplated taking them many times! :fight:

I don't particularly like taking tablets, including paracetamol and I suppose I am scared that I have a bit of an addictive personality (I can never put into practise "everything in moderation" :rolleyes: ! ) and if I went on them I wouldn't be able to come off them!!!

Can't even give up the fags!

Denise

Been on anti D's for over 3 yrs now and still not even close to coming off them :(

I'm on anti-ds, have been on and off for years but do have clinical depression so its going to be anti-ds for the duration for me. Its a chemical imbalance pure and simple. I haven't found its gotten worse or better having Logan diagnosed as autistic - but possibly because they do keep me on a fairly even keel.

In saying that have just changed anti-ds so will see how the new ones go!

Lynne x

I was on one called zispin and I put on three stone

Five stone on in just over a year :( - I've now changed back to an older tricyclic as Zispin didn't seem to touch my depression - just got the 'lumpy' reminder of it now ...

I voted "Yes", coz I'm on anti-depressants (have been for about 7 years now), and I am the person with A.S.! :lol:

James

I was on anti depressants when my daughter was diagnosed with autistic encephalitus and again within hours of giving birth to my son a year later on dr's advice I should have been on them throughout the pregnancy but there was no way i was going to take them whilst pregnant.

Then again i also have a.s. and I believe people with A.s are prone to depression, just because of the way their mind works.saying that i have been fine for about three years now :thumbs:

Not me, but my Husband has been on Anti-D's for four months (I am the Warrior of our household and I find screaming and war dancing in large open spaces and large bottles of Rioja is my medicine!) :lol:

I was prescribed AD's in my teens when I had an awful boyfriend and I was so stressed, I ended up with ezcema, I took two pills, decided they weren't for me, so binned them and the excess 13 stone waste of flesh at the same time! :lol:

....And my skin was as soft as baby's bum in no time! ;)

I was prescribed AD's for postnatal depression but they sat on the mantelpiece and I never took them, people kept telling me I didn't need them, although I knew that I did. I wasn't strong enough to argue and so they sat there looking at me until they ended up in the bin. For many, many years I blamed J's autism on the fact that I never took those AD's and it's only very recently that I've forgiven myself (he's nearly 14 now). When he was four and going through dx, I took myself to the GP and asked for them and got them and actually took them, but I still felt it was too late, the damage had been done to him, I was convinced I'd caused his problems and it was all my fault! I took them for two years and had a real struggle to get off them (Seroxat). There have been times (like now!) when I've felt that I needed them, but I have resisted going back on them so far.

~ Mel ~

I've just read this thread with interest as I'm not coping too well at all with life at the moment. Anyway went to docs last week (not easy - I pretend to cope - it's all an act tho!) and finally managed to blurt out what I wanted or at least wanted to discuss. His answer was 'oh we don't prescribe valium type drugs anymore - you'll end up addicted which will just give you another problem to deal with'

Cheers doc, thanks for nothing! I won't be bothering with that idea again - I'm going to stick with the wine!

Elun xxx

Oh Mel please don't blame yourself. Elun not a very helpful Doc did they suggest anything else ????

I am on Prozac and it works well for me, did you know its also prescribed for PMT ??? My GP also offered counselling with I am half way through at the mo, not sure its really helping the guy is 70+ and when you want to talk about giving birth and a horrendous miscaridge I just can't bring myself, think I have managed to find out more about him than he has about me !!!! Ah well guess I best stick to the prozac.

Clare x x x x

I'm on a very low dose of an SSRI daily.

It just seems to get rid of the background anxiety I have always lived with, and it does help.

My GP thought it would stop the auditory processing difficulties I get when I'm in a crowded place, but it doesn't seem to affect that.

Sympathy to everyone who's struggling at the mo >:D<<'>

Bid

Oh Elun, your GP sounds really unhelpful. I was told by my GP that AD's were not addictive. I was perceived to be "strong" by all those around me. I never admitted I wasn't coping, when DH left for work I would sit and cry. No one saw me and I hid it well. The only time I really opened up, was here, on the forum. To go to the GP and ask for help was, for me, horrendous. I sat and sobbed, and felt totally embarrassed. I think I realised I was feeling more than a little low when I felt like I didn't recognise myself anymore. I didn't know who I had turned into. Everything would make me cry. I decided to take AD's because I couldn't bare to feel how I was feeling anymore. I was offered counselling, which I accepted, although felt terrified of opening up to a stranger sat opposite me. The counselling was superb, and helped me more than I can put into words. The AD's, which I have been taking since November, have also proved really helpful. I'm on a lose dose of Citalopram, and it's just enough to stabilise my mood, and enable me to cope, if that make sense. I'm due back at the GP's this month, and I'm thinking of asking her to lower it even more, with a view to coming off them..........but........if I found I was struggling on the lower dose, or after coming off, I would absolutely not feel any fear about going back. I feel like ME again :)

Also wanted to add, that for all I felt I had "hidden" how I was feeling, once I opened up and told my family and friends that I had been diagnosed with depression and been put on AD's etc, none were surprised. My mum in particular was relieved, and said she knew I was ill, yet knew if she suggested I go to GP I would of flipped, which I would of done.

My opinion of AD's also changed once I had need for them. Before being diagnosed with depression myself, I felt that strength of character got you through tricky and traumatic parts of your life. I had dealt with some pretty awful events in my life, without becoming depressed. However, once I had suffered myself from depression, I realised that it is an illness, and you can't just pull yourself together. I also had physical symptoms...horrific insomnia, hair falling out, patches of itchy dry skin.........it's a horrible feeling to look in the mirror, and not recognise the person staring back at you :(

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Thanks

Maybe I'll go back - there's a much better GP at our surgery who has been fab with O in the past and has some understanding of our family. I know I can't cope but too tired to do a lot about it at the moment

Thanks for sharing your reply, it made a lot of sense to me

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Elun, please do go back and try to see someone else. BP's post does make so much sense.

Thinking of you....

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Yes :(

I've been on A-Ds for around a year now. Just recently bumped up to nearly 200mg :tearful: . Going through a horendous period of my life at the moment - life became too much - i didn't want to be around anymore - hence the jump in meds.

Don't like it - don't really feel like me at the moment, just gliding along... Semi-conscious. :tearful: I'm usually the person bouncing off the ceiling :dance: - so it's been more of a shock to my friends and family.

But, a friend recently sent me this - and it's helped tremendously............

"Used to sail a lot. When things are getting tricky, and you are about to capsize, one answer is to let everything go, ropes, rudder, the lot.

The boat orientates itself, head to wind. You aren't going anywhere, but you've not gone overboard either.

It gives you time to work out what to do next, a breathing space.

So you're head to wind at the moment, sweetheart, gathering strength."

I hate to admit it but I have even been to have counselling over my DS as he is such a handful. I have taken prozac in the past, now it's a bottle of wine a night (to sleep through his restlessness and shouting and pacing the room as he doesn't sleep much), add to that chocolate and junk food and comfort eating. I have gained over three stone too... :tearful:

I am on anti depressants but have been for much longer than I've had dd. My problems have increased though and last year I had a short prescription for diazepam because I couldn't cope :crying:

I have to say I have never had so much as an aspirin, not showing off, I just went ga-ga instead, saved a bomb on the NHS :) Anyone who wants to see my wallpaper collection is more than welcome.... I've never seen my son as a real issue to be honest, hard work YES !!!! but it's not as if he goes out of his way to make my life a misery. I love every hair on his head to be honest, although he's left very little on mine :)

I'm on Citalopram - been taking it for over a year ...I tried to come off them slowly with GP support and found myself crying non-stop so was told to go back to regular dose. GP then pushed up the dose but it made no difference one way or another so I have remained on the regular dose.

GP says I have a reactive depression which makes sense to me : if I single with no children I probably wouldn't be dressed - probably have other problems instead though.

Louise

I have voted yes on this poll.

I first went on anti-depressants (prozac) 8 years ago when Mike was 5 weeks and I found out my now ex-husband had been having an affair whilst I was pregnant and had had enough of me. Chris was only 2 at the time so had to cope with 2 babies on my own and the devestation of being abandoned (we had been together for 14 years).

Have had a lot of grief from my ex over the past 8 years relating to maintenance and access issues and have been to court numerous times because of maintenance problems (not very nice).

Was diagnosed with M.E. (Chronic fatigue) just over 3 years ago as well.

Have known Mike was not NT since he was about 3 so have spent the last 5 years battling for recognition and dx.

All in all have been fighting various battles over the last 8 years, been for councelling, seen psychiatrists and stayed on anti depressants. On an increased dose at the moment. Am on sertraline 100mg.

Don't really see myself coming off them.......... have tried but I think my depression is too severe for me to cope without them.

I try to see it like this - if I was diabetic and needed injections then that would be ok, if I was epileptic and needed to take medication then that would be ok........ - so I have an imbalance which causes depression which needs to be corrected by taking tablets to enable me to function normally!!!!!!

Wish I didn't have to take them but such is life!!!!!! :tearful:

Edited by ASue67