Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Swimming - a pretty grim experience

Hi all

The four of us have just returned from our local swimming pool and I need a good stiff drink! :wacko:

The physio says swimming will help my daughter's joints and we have been putting it off as L's dad and I hate it. We hate the noise, the slimy changing room floors, peeling all the winter layers off and applying them again afterwards, the excessive chlorine, the used plasters floating in the water, the big pool too cold, the little pool too hot.... Add to this two children who need help changing, one of whom is hypersensitive to noise and smells. One can't swim at all and both need supervising in two different pools.

I enjoy swimming itself, but I am of the belief that swimming is an activity which should be undertaken outdoors under a blazing sun in temperatures no less than 70 degrees and in the company of as few strangers as possible.

Unfortunately both children enjoy it, so I suppose we have to go again next week. Yeugh!! Am I just picky or does anyone else feel like this about swimming? :wacko:

OOOOOOHHHHH ye with you too,Kyle hate's crowd's 2 young ones that can't swim,the 2 little ones are 4 & 5 so i have to help them, kyle can't undo buttons and struggles to get himself sorted.Then there's the shower after.Too much hassle for me :wacko::wacko:

Hi Kathryn -

Poor ol' you :lol:

Sorry, I'm not laughing horribly, but there is a funny side and I've love to be a fly on the wall as you emerge poolside muttering and cursing under your breath!

If it's any help, I've heard a good layer of goose grease helps to keep the chill out, though you might leave an oily wake as you doggy paddle gingerly around the abandoned elastoplast and verucca patches...

L&P

BD :lol:

Baddad - having grown up in the tropics I'm afraid it would take a lot more than goose grease to insulate me. Probably a suit of armour would do it.

The vile experience was rounded off at the end of the swim with the discovery that in the family changing room a small hole had been drilled in both partitions enabling those in neighbouring changing rooms a full view of .... :o:o Husband stationed himself against one hole, 8 year old son's finger blocked the opposite orifice whilst I helped L into her clothes. She couldn't see why there was any problem at all. :lol:

I'm going to investigate our local health club. I don't care how much it costs - I'd pay anything to have a civilised swim. :pray:

Edited by Kathryn

:lol::P had to laugh at your post -our pool is very same,i have been taking my son and 2 half year old every week,just to get them used to water,and u never seen nowt like the carry on in the family changing room :lol::o

its positivly stressful,theres only me[parent] and if anyone could see me trying to change them both,and me at same time theyd kill themselfs laughing-then theres the locker capper,then the wee wee coming out-need loo[yuk i wouldnt touch the floor with a barge pole-let alone the toilet] :wacko:

i think us lot are noisy lot in locker room,-i just cant contain my swear words at all :rolleyes: i think they are relieved when we go home,lol

last week the same woman was there as week before-you should of seen look on her face when we all got in again last week :lol: [my younger son kept following her around splashing her :wub: ]

im giving it a break this week-have to stock up on valium for next visit :party:

yep kathryn totaly argree with you hate the places.Both my kids love swimming although with C it is more like life saving as you can't touch him and he won't ware arm bands he has to do it himself arghh!!

Changing rooms are filthy and there's always someones long black hair which attaches itself to your arm Yuck !!

Hay ho the things we have to do! :rolleyes:

Will be thinking of you next week smile sweetly and have a stiff drink when you get home. :cheers:

Lisa :)

I take J once a fortnight to a swimming session organised by a local charity (Mersyside Aitistic Childrens Society) at the local swimming baths.

We have the pool to ourselves and a full complement of lifeguards etc. No need to worry about crowds or what people think etc. There are probably about 60-80 adults and children at each session which isn't as many as it sounds because it is a big place. Everyone pays �1.

More details at:

http://www.macs4asd.org.uk/

Simon

Thats interesting to hear, Simon. I think a couple of pools near us run sessions for children of all disabilities. I would rather not have to go at all although I love doing many other things with my daughter. I'd happily pay someone good money to take her swimming for me.

So glad I'm not the only one here! I have given up swimming, as much as my dd loves it, I just can't manage on my own :( Last time we did it we were at Haven and there was a little slide in the pool which she kept going on. Fine until you realise that there were a few toddlers and mums who were getting very annoyed at her because they were faffing about and she didn't want to wait for the slide so would push past :(

Most of the time I am running around the pool trying to get her back in the water while the life guard goes purple blowing his whistle at her - SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ARGH!!! (ahem :rolleyes: ) Last time I took her to the local pool she wouldn't leave at the end of the session and we hada very wet slippery fight to get her as far as the showers, then she ran headlong back into the pool, she literally ran until she hit the water. Even worse, she had ran into the deep pool and couldn't swim, I have never acted so fast in my whole life, I grabbed her and dragged her out in milliseconds and the lifeguard was stood at my side by the time I had scooped her out.

I simply can't keep up with her, it's dangerous, so we don't do swimming any more :(

anytime we're in the uk we use the 'disabled' changing room and its great, we've never been refused access and we can all fit in together.

My 14 year old son loves swimming but as he's a 'big boy' now its not easy to take him swimming herebecause of the cultural aspect of things , he just doesn't understand he can't jump in the water on top of a group of girls and yell..."Hi how are you." We have a rule where he is not allowed to touch a non-family members swimming costume and for the most part he is great with it, however we have been so worried that one day he could get into trouble that we have now built him a swimming pool at home. It will be ready soon and we're really looking forward to him having a normal life around the pool as water plays such a big part in his life, he won't be isolated, he's one of 47 children in the extended family and everyone is looking forward to coming for a swim.

He made us laugh a few months ago, we were at the beach and this absolutely gorgeous young girl of about 21 started wading out to have a swim. Quick as a flash my son was after her, he was yelling, " Hi wait for me, my name is..........." My daughter had to grab him by the ankle and drag him back to us, he just started swimming harder, she had to pull him back harder, over and over again :lol::lol::lol::lol: Of course the girl picked up on the commotion, she must have though she knew us cos she waved and started to come toward us, yikes!!!! Anyway we got it all sorted out and it was just as well because whilst this was going on we realised her boyfriend, who had been off to one side snorkelling, had come quite close to the fiasco and even from where we were it was very obvious he was well into bodybuilding. AAARRGGHH Thankfully though they were really nice and very understanding but it could possibly have been very different. Mind you though I think it's probably our concerns that are out of kilter rather than the possibel reactions of others.

Edited by alibaly

:lol::lol::lol: Totally with you!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The getting in bit is okay, the swimming (which lasts about 15 minutes before someone wants to get out because bored/too cold/hungry/you name it) is quite nice - although it doesnt count as exercise for me because all I do is walk in and get wet - probably burn about 3 calories extra, but I can honestly say that being in a cubicle after swimming with my two kids is about as near to nervous breakdown as I get......

.....I remember before I had kids (ie - when I thought that being a great parent was going to be a doddle) I used to think I'd never give my kids a crisp or a chocolate button - I have about 6 pks of each in my swimming bag :lol::lol:

my asd son is terible while swimming he strangles you and pulls your costume down very embarressing he has just started going with school which is a relief for me. l take my 5 yr old for lessons once a week and l also go with her school supervisiing around the pool side and helping them get dressed which is fun hardly any of them can get dressed on there own,

sharron

so what do the kids have when your scoffing the crisp and chocolate buttons. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Hi all

The four of us have just returned from our local swimming pool and I need a good stiff drink! :wacko:

The physio says swimming will help my daughter's joints and we have been putting it off as L's dad and I hate it. We hate the noise, the slimy changing room floors, peeling all the winter layers off and applying them again afterwards, the excessive chlorine, the used plasters floating in the water, the big pool too cold, the little pool too hot.... Add to this two children who need help changing, one of whom is hypersensitive to noise and smells. One can't swim at all and both need supervising in two different pools.

I enjoy swimming itself, but I am of the belief that swimming is an activity which should be undertaken outdoors under a blazing sun in temperatures no less than 70 degrees and in the company of as few strangers as possible.

Unfortunately both children enjoy it, so I suppose we have to go again next week. Yeugh!! Am I just picky or does anyone else feel like this about swimming? :wacko:

Kathryn,does your child have a problem with the echoeing?

I'm unable to go swimming with college because of it. :(

Since we have been home edding, swimming is great, as we go at lunchtime my kids have the whole of the little pool to themselves and seeing as I dont swim :wub: (because of an old primary school teacher that kicked my hands off the side of the pool and made me go under :( ) I am relaxed that there are not lots of kids splashing about, but before you all panic my hubby comes too and he can swim. ;)

Mind you last time my son took a run and jump into the big pool :o I soon found my confidence then when I leaned right over and pulled him out. :dance:

Why do they always have them ###### machines with crisps and chocolate in them, just as I'm feeling quite healthy because I've sat in the pool I spot those and me and the kids are grappling for change :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You'll have to keep an eye on your son alibaly :pray:;)

Brook

Kathryn,does your child have a problem with the echoeing?

I'm unable to go swimming with college because of it. :(

TuX,

I thought this might be a problem, but surprisingly she says she quite likes the echoing in the pool area. I think the water has a calming effect generally and dampens down her sensitivity to noise. What she can't cope with are the shouts and screams in the changing room - especially when large groups of younger children are changing. This happened yesterday: she had to cover her ears as there was a group of very loud boys. Next time I will give her ear plugs just for the changing room. Have you tried them at all, TuX? They might help.

K