Sign in to follow this  
Kazzen161

Aspergers Child on Little Angels

Thanks for that must remeber to watch that one.

B) Thanks i'll be watching. It's about time they started putting programmes like that.I need all the help i can get lol.

Yep, will be watching this, the family on it used to live around the corner from me

until they moved away.

I told her she was very brave to go on a programme like that, but am glad some people do.

She tells me she did not swear once through the programme. :lol::lol: Hmmmm :lol:

Brook

Cheers for the info, will try to watch but my AS son is 8 on the 11th so i might have to try and record it due to birthday celebrations! :)

I'm likely to miss it,sigh.I have to take my daughter 20miles to her football training and she has already put in her orders for someone to record Holby City,sigh.I wonder if it will be repeated?xx

Could be being a bit biased here but, I actually thought seeing as it was only a half hour programme they actually covered some very important issues, especially ROUTINE being so important.

Must admit I got quite choked up at times.

Brook ;)

Brook,

I got a bit emotional watching it as well.

Sophie is so much how Alex used to be when he was around the same age. It was like deja vu.

Annie

:ph34r:>:D<<'>

I watched this with my 10 year old Asperger son and 7 year old NT daughter. We were expecting it to be another frustrating misleading feature on Asperger's syndrome but it was brilliant. The psychologist was great and half way through my son went into the hall and shouted "AT LAST A PROFESSIONAL WHO UNDERSTANDS"

They didn't put the child down or try to force her to conform, just showed a normal family struggling under very difficult circumstances. In any other situation the child would have been shown as a monster as her behaviour was very bad, but they simply explained that the child got to a point where she could no longer communicate and the key was to divert it before it got that far. I also liked the fact that they showed how desperatly sad the child was after the meltdown and how bad she felt that she had gone wrong again.

Well worth watching. :clap:

Denise 2

I agree - they should have moved Holby for this programme - it would have done more good than the 'make me normal' fiasco that was supposed to inform joe public.

It did cover a lot in such a short space of time - I spotted, turn taking, visual clues, routine, and careful preparation and predictability. Some really important stuff that can make a huge difference very nicely condensed into a very watchable half hour.

This would make a good training film.

Best wishes

HelenL

It isn't possible to explain AS in 30mins, let alone deal with management strategies - but they made a really good stab at it. The psychologist seemed to know her stuff, and no-one blamed the parents, told the girl she was bad and need more punishment, or said that all kids behave that way.

Too much of it was a replay of my family a few years ago - I got tearful too.

I've watched lots of Little Angels, and what struck me about this was how grim it all was. This girl's tantrums were nothing like naughty kids behave - my heart went out to her and her Mum.

Wish this had been on BBC1.

Elanor

Immediately after the programme i rang BBC action line asking begging for a copy of the programme or at least to know when it will be on again.It was the most relevant programme i've seen to date and i'm desperate to get hold of a copy to show the teachers at my sons school. At last a real and sympathetic insight into AS.

I e-mailed the BBC tonight to thank them for the honest way they highlighted Aspergers'.

I also asked them if they could consider putting out a programme highlighting the difficulties faced with our children in education.

Wishful thinking I know, but I can only ask eh? :P

Annie

X

I found it very helpful in that it showed me that Ben does have AS symptoms. I have never seen another child with AS and thought maybe he was just naughty and everyone had it wrong. I have harboured doughts for some time, the fact he makes eye contact has thrown me but tonight I noticed Sophie also made eye contact with her mother.

I turned to my DH at one point and said "I thought it was just our house that went through that sort of thing." It was so very much like Bens behavour. The total chaos and lack of control was typical.

I also noticed they mentioned the Jekyl and Hyde characteristic, one minute happy and smiling the next total rage.

Viper.

I cried too. Have sent an email to BBC3 also saying

1. well done

2. put in on BBC1

3. consider a programme re Aspergers/Autism & schooling.

If enough of us suggest it, who knows.....

;)

Didn't get to watch it as I was outvoted by the rest of the family wanting to watch the new series of Stargate SG1 (which was good I might add).

Anyway let us know when it's repeated on BBC1 and I will move heaven and earth to watch it then. What I need is one of those hard drive boxes that records other digital programmes.

Daisy

Have checked the BBC website and it's on again for those who missed it (including me ;) )

Little Angels

Mon 17 Oct, 8:30 pm - 9:00 pm 30mins

Seven-year-old Sophie Wilfort's violent rages and emotional outbursts are turning family life in to a living hell. Parents Debbie and Graham have no idea how to deal with her extreme behaviour and a recent shock diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome, a form of autism, has left them feeling even more helpless. Child psychologist Laverne Antrobus is on hand to shed some light on Sophie's condition.

Guest flutter

daisy was in same boat :)

but i did hear stargate was good,

i had to go bed cos daughter had a loverly moment and i was weary

Cx

Hi,

I think the programme showed a good representation of AS too. It also highlighted how little support families receive. Sophie's mum said they were just given the dx and had to get on with it. How familiar that sounds.

For me, it was confirmation that Kai definately has ASD, because i sometimes doubt his diagnosis, even though i know he has it :wacko: . Kai's reactions to things were so similar to Sophie's it was uncanny.

Hope it gets more air time.

It would be nice if Sophie's family joined Krism too!

Loulou x

oh missed that one! :o

Finally managed to see this and made the whole family watch it too which was very helpful for us all I think. Had a few tears in my eyes mind.

Everytime the kids said "That's just what Martin does/did" I felt we'd cleared another hurdle. Even Martin pulled himself away from the computer on a couple of occasions when he heard familiar things being said.

My only concern was although it was sensitively dealt with there seemed to be this suggestion that just by changing these few things AS kids are suddenly OK, which we know is not true because issues change as the child gets older. Shame there's not more programmes like this one - well done Auntie Beeb. :clap:

Daisy

My only concern was although it was sensitively dealt with there seemed to be this suggestion that just by changing these few things AS kids are suddenly OK, which we know is not true because issues change as the child gets older

I thought the programme was good but also thought the same as you Daisy.

My son was much the same when he was 7 although not exactly the same as sophie, but issues have changed with him over the years.

Theresa