mum22boys

Constipation and ASD

Does your child suffer with constipation problems  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Does your child suffer with constipation problems

• Yes
    • No
    • If yes how long has your child suffered?

My son has suffered with constipation since he was eight weeks old and he now has to take laxatives everyday. i have found a research paper recently that suggests there is a link between consipation and autism. I would be interested to find out if anyone else thinks there may be a link.

Funny we were at the constipation and soiling clinic for the first time this week.

Henry was constipated from about 4 months, and on laxitives from about 5 months, senna from 7 months and suppositories from 8 months until he was 4 years. He now has the occasional bout of constipation, but does still soil himself. That said he has been three times this week something of a record for him.

My son told me that he holds in poo because the teacher at his previous school told him that he was a dirty rude boy and made him face the wall when he put his hand up to ask to go to the toilet and he accidentaly passed wind.

He said that he said pardon me and that he was crying and asking to go but she told him to stay facing the wall. He apparently begged to go and she told him that he was not to go for a poo, and so, he tells, me, he ust decided to keep on holding in poos. That was last year and he had two hospitalisations for hernia operations. At the time I did not know that he was holding in poos for weeks at a time.

I now feel so bad about what he went through at the hands of a sadistic teacher.

Guys, keep your eye on things.

Best wishes

HelenL

Hi -

Ben suffered severe constipation (and some pretty wierd 'solid' vomiting as a consequence) from about 3 months to 3 years...

After seeing a consultant for over a year, who managed to convince me it just couldn't be an allergy reaction and prescribed all sorts of helpful stuff (senna/lactulose/fybergel etc and some horrendous #experimental' stuff i pulled him off of as soon as i researched the side effects [er...death!]) that didn't help at all, i decided to trust my instincts and try a dairy free diet.

Ben's bowel disorder was cured within days, and has never recurred apart from occassional constipation when he's out of sorts with something else - like a cold or virus - when he seems unable to cope with both, if you see W.I.M...

Obviously, this is not going to be the case with every child, but if your littlun suffers any sort of vomiting (especially solid or 'curds') it's well worth excluding dairy for a week or two to find out. Even if it hasn't reached that stage, it may still be worth a looksee...

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D

OH ps: there definitely is a higher ratio of 'big poo' problems in kids with ASD, though the jury's still out as to reasons... If you get the chance, attend one of Paul Shattocks lectures: the subject always comes up, and you'll get an idea of just how big (no pun intended) a problem it is. :D

Not sure if there's a link but Logan (2) has suffered chronic constipation since the get go, again to the point that he was vomiting when trying to poo etc. He was on daily movicol for around 6-8 months but he's down to weekl now.

Lynne x

Hi Bid

You will understand why I will not be returning him back into that environment.

It makes me feel physically sick to think that I let him go to that school for a year and allowed them to undermine and tell me that I needed to leave him be and let him be himself!

Thank god for this forum - otherwise I think I would still be allowing my son to be subjected the to the sadistic abuse delivered in the name of education.

Love

HelenL

I didn't think this kind of abuse happened nowadays. :angry::( The trouble is, there seems to be no complaints system which enables one to nail teachers like this.

~We had a similar teacher when I was in junior school, I've had sort of revenge since when she came over being all nice when I went back to the school with a police display, and I said quietly to her, 'you were a complete b*tch to me when I was at school, you made my school years hell and I still hate you for it' Trust me, she deserved it.

My son has constipation problems, has done since being tiny, he now drinks a lot of fresh juice inc Tropicana Fibre juice which helps him go, but he also has a fear of using anyone elses toilet which can become a big problem, took him 5 days before he would use the one when we were on holiday. If we go out from 7am on a morning until 9pm at night he won't go etc, currently looking for help on this one.

DS(9) has always had some difficulties, but up to the age of 5 would 'go' about once or twice a week. Now it can be two to three weeks between visits. We also have the problem of wetting - he feels no sensation of needing to go. Next week he will go to hospital for retraining - I'm told it's very successful. One of our main problems is that although we remind him regularly to go to the toilet, he just refuses. The idea with the hospital is that he won't refuse them, and once he's in the habit of going we should be able to continue at home.

Fingers crossed

A

I think this is what Wakefield's work was beginning to show when he got blown out of the water; that there is a gut connection in quite a large percentage of ASD cases.

I like Jyonouchi's research into this which links immune dysfunction, allergy to cow's milk protein (casein) and autism. My son's immune irregularities (and he was always sick) were resolved by a gluten and casein free diet.

He also has a dysfunctioning metabolism and this is harder to address.

Edited by call me jaded

Yup, Martin has had constipation problems since he was tiny, tiny. Still does because you KNOW when he has been to the toilet - his poos are SOOO big they can back up the toilet :lol: Although he never actually mentions it to us anymore (probably just thinks its normal I guess)

It used to be so distressing for him when he was little - we would sit and hold his hand when he was small as he was so frightened to go and even laxatives didn't help much. :tearful:

We have two toilets now so when he needs to go everyone just leaves him to it!

Hi- my 4 year old has had severe constipation problems which we've managed to sort out with plenty of fluids and a good handful of sultanas/ currants a day. I've also read that children with ASD suffer from constipation, apparently because many of them are gluten (wheat) or casein (dairy) intolerant. I don't know if this has been established as medical fact, but I limit the amount of both food groups for Tom, just in case. He doesn't like milk much anyway- won't have it on cereals (making 1 Weetabix last a day!) but will have it in porridge now and again.

Hang in there- it's no fun trying to coax a poo out of an upset and uncomfortable little kid! :(

Nikki

As a babe Mark had very severe constipation problems. James on the other hand had the runs of the first 5 years of his life. Doctors did all sorts of tests to try and work out why but nothing showed up. Both boys have ASD.

After long, ongoing constipation and stomach ache problems with daughter finally took the plunge to go dairy free. Am very pleased to report that almost immediately the constipation / pain disappeared and she is now " going like a

navvy" :lol:

She is still craving milk and cheese but seeing the good results have kept me steadfast.

HI

no problems with constipation the opposit sometimes but lot of winds, and now H told me he does not want to speak to the SENCO because she said he was rude to dare pass wind when everybody was in line, In fact this remind me to have a word with her about it :shame: personnaly the rude one are the one who make an issue out of it!!!! In fact I am sure that is the head master had some during a meeting with the Senco she would not dare to say a word... ;)

Malika.

Because I had an AS mother who was totally neurotic about my own 'business', I have always refused to make any kind of issue about my son's!!

When he was a baby, he'd go days without a dirty nappy! I put it down to thoughtfulness LOL ;-) He didn't seem to have any discomfort, it was just his own rythym. Since he started school, he's refused to 'go' during the day and saves it all for late evening. It's as tho' he can finally relax, takes a book, sits for ages and likes to be left in peace!! Like Daisyproudfoot put it, his 'back up' the loo, too. Real torpedos. Exactly like his AS dad (his are more like submarines, tho'!!)!!!

I've never tried to make him 'go' in the morning although it goes against what I think one 'ought' to do!! ;-)

So...idiosyncratic 'style' rather than constipated - ???

Helen >:D<<'> I have just read your post in total disbelief :(

I voted yes. My son seems to be constipated quite a lot but ever since a virtually cut out gluten and dairy he seems a lot better.

Denisex

My daughter has the opposite, she is on and off the tiolet, even more so when she is anxiuos. which as i stated in another post is a big problem at the moment.

Nikrix x

Funny we were at the constipation and soiling clinic for the first time this week.

theres a clinic????? :blink:

my son has soiled since i can remember!! he's now 11 years old & I have NEVER heard of a clinic for it!! I'm gonn have to scream & shout & stamp my feet about that! :star:

If any of you or your kids tip toe walk this can cause constipation because walking on tip toes tightens the muscles and without knowing it your or your kids are holding in their poop!

Hi We haven't had that problem but there is a little girl who has serious problems with consitpation to the degree she has to be hopitalised serveral times a year.She is ASD dx and has had these problems since 1 year old so maybe there is a link.

Lisax

interesting discussion!

DP has poop probs, but not constipation, he just has to go everytime he eats and DD3 is the same and has been assessed by the nursery SENCO as she has selective mutism issues plus she is very much like her dad for the need for routine and many behavioural traits

My DS is 19 months and was diagnosed as milk protein intolerant a year ago due to having sleep apaonea and going into respiratory arrest. He has recently been tested for wheat intolerance and a few other allergies and we are awaiting the results of this test (he was tested kinesthetically last April and has avoided anything containing Onion, Garlic or Celery or similar since then) we don't have any issues with his breathing at all now!

DS shows no signs of being like his full sister (DD3) nor his father, but I know he is at the prime age for ASD traits to start emerging!

Edited by baranigirl

Hi,

Yes my daughter suffered from chronic constipation since birth - on milk free diet until she was about 5/6yrs old. Recently been told problem is related to a gastric motility disorder which is basically a slow/delayed emptying stomach resulting in bouts of severe constipation, pain and nausea/vomiting.

Take care,

jb

ive had severe constipation problems sometimes not being able to go for up to 3 days.

It got better for a while post gfcf and improve further with milk thistle (which might not be suitable for kids).

Also probiotics helps me to go.

Epsom salts help, drinking a pint of water, fennel tea and increasing fruit fibre intake ease mine.

Alexis

Blimey, My boy gets constipated quite regularly but since being on a gluten free diet he is much better. I'm just wondering whether he should be on the casein free one as well..... They did mention it but focused mainly on the gluten free aspect. Must admit trying to get veges down him is a battle so thought thats prob why he's constipated more so. Think I will have to do more research. Arghhhh

my son too has had problems with constipation and soiling , and always had a funny smell of pooh even when he hadnt poohed himself ,he was refered to the constipation clinic when he was 5 and given movical ,and was told the smell was because he was constipated it was coming out of his pores ,nice ! but movical has worked :thumbs: and now he doesnt need it any more as he now has a rountine ,but still has very long poohs

When I was born I had trouble with my bowels. I was diagnosed with having Hersprins (Spelling) Disease.

I had trouble with eating and had to have many operations throughout my childhood. Constipation affected me alot.

I can remember at school always putting off going to the toilet though I was okay with having a pee.

I had to have medicine to help me but the doctors wouldn’t give me laxatives as they said my bowels would become dependent on them.

For the past couple of years I have been relatively okay.

Touch wood. ;)