cindy30fish

Blue Badge

However I equally know my DH's views on blue badge holders : that they are valid is someone have difficulties but not his children.

Oh Louise >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

He's not the one who is with them 24/7. It must be so hard if he can't see the daily struggle, and you don't want to get into a no-win argument. My OH just looks puzzled and withdraws from any decision-making, so I'm alone, but at least I don't have any conflict. He sees the children as my hobby, in the same way that he has photography.

He sees the children as my hobby, in the same way that he has photography.

Of course they are just a 'hobby' and nothing to do with him ....... has he heard the rumour 'it takes 2 to tango'?? :wacko:

Louise

When i applied for a blue badge for C, i thought there was no way i would get it. I also recieve the lower rate for mobility. i was advies to find a fact sheet on ASD and highlight the relevant parts about safety, unfamiliar places etc, all the things that make it difficult when you go out in the car, and send that with the form, saying - 'see attached sheet.' I was told that most people reading ' Autism', or Aspergers Syndrome,' wouldn't actually know the facts and they would then brush aside the application mainly due to their own ignorance. I was very surprised when i got the badge without any problems. When i had to renew the badge last year, i did the same thing and again, was successful. i would therefore suggest, you get as much info as possible, and post it with the form when you apply. Good luck!

I was told that in my council, you HAVE to take the child into the offices to apply, and they said at 13 my daughter can fill it in herself!

I was told that my area will NOT give a badge unless higher mobility,,, my dd gets higher care lower mobility..

Are all forms the same accross the country?

Could I get one from elsewhere then get my childs doc to fill it in?

It drives me mad... I have on A/S who is prone to running, I also have one not yet diagnosed who has general mobiity probs often in plaster and always falling over. I also ahve chronic incurable liver disease and as such suffer from severe fatigue. I have already been turned down once for DLA so no hope for a badge for me either....

As a family we really struggle but they look at each tiny piece of the picture and make rash judgements on them.

I was told that in my council, you HAVE to take the child into the offices to apply, and they said at 13 my daughter can fill it in herself!

I was told that my area will NOT give a badge unless higher mobility,,, my dd gets higher care lower mobility..

Are all forms the same accross the country?

Could I get one from elsewhere then get my childs doc to fill it in?

It drives me mad... I have on A/S who is prone to running, I also have one not yet diagnosed who has general mobiity probs often in plaster and always falling over. I also ahve chronic incurable liver disease and as such suffer from severe fatigue. I have already been turned down once for DLA so no hope for a badge for me either....

As a family we really struggle but they look at each tiny piece of the picture and make rash judgements on them.

Write all this down in a letter and send it to your local MP, I am sure he/she will support you, they may refer you to the Welfare rights service and they will come to your home to have a look at the different applications, such as remclaiming DLA for yourself and a blue badge for you, then looking at the childrens blue badge, so please do consider giving this a go, good luck.

JsMum

That is disgraceful Annea.. Defo go to your MP.. With your problem alone you should be able to get DLA.. My advice is always ask for them to look at it again.. and send in any leaflets you can find on all the problems.

I have been told by my council that at the moment kids with asd's cannot get a blue badge but they are waiting on a new directive supposed to be out September to see whether they can let children with behaviourable problems have a blue badge.. This somewhat annoys me as it seems to me they are saying that kids with asd's are naughty children..

My son has finally been diagnosed as a complex boy with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (which to me is a bit of a -well we havn't got a clue so we will just shove him in this bracket kind of dx ) Along with borderline Learning Difficulties and Inattentive ADD as well as sleep problems for which he takes melatonin for. So now we are on a list which she says as soon as they find out more they will let us know..

It does seem to vary in every county.. so this makes me wonder what the criteria really is as so far it can be anything the councils choose. As per normal it all comes down to funding and to how much they have in their coffers for us..

grrrrrrrr

Just to let you all know, I had my social worker pick up my forms for me. He filled them in for us and we received badges for both our girls last week. They are vaild for three years and we are really very grateful. It will mean I can take all my kids out at one time without worrying about having to walk half a mile back to a car park.

Matt, you normally get the forms from your local council but all areas have different criterior for getting the badges <all down to interpretting the rules I think>

Anne

we have just a couple of months ago received a blue badge for reece he only gets low rate mobility so didnt think wed get it but it has been a god send

do get some funny looks from people though but who cares as long as my child isnt running into the road or round a busy carpark i dont care

donnaxxxx

I have a blue badge for myself, so I don't have to worry about my son getting for one for now. But my GP did intimate that if I did not she would put forward that I required one for my son, who get lower rate of mobility and middle rate of care...and the school still said he wasn't disabled, just bad!

we only get high rate care and low rate mobility but i went to a carers group and they sent me a letter from the autistic society saying that that u could get a bluebadge on lowrate mobility its not been in effect long but i would try filling out the forms then they goto yr gp for info my gp is very good and i got excepted straight away and it has been really usefull in situations that could of been disasterous

so try and push it if they dont except the first time we have a bus pass too me and reece

love donnaxxxxx

Hi

I was told that to qualify for a blue badge you have to be in reciept of the high mobilty rate.But he does qualify for a free bus pass

lynn

That was the automatic criteria but if you could prove you needed and didn't get the high rate you still got it.

ooo glad I saw this thread, it reminded me, I need to renew dd's badge!

Hi.

I was thinking of also applying for a blue badge and feel we will be let down.......with our council depending on who is dealing with it is like trying to get blood out of a stone. :tearful:

My Daniel will be 13 next week and he cannot go out alone and has not a clue when it comes to crossing roads, we take him to and from school, he is easily led and vulnerable, yet intelligent in lots of other ways.

Daniel receives 'high rate care & low rate mobility'.

We do have a great keyworker and have not thought yet of asking him to help out with this, as he have been doing lots of other things for us too and still is......he is great.

If I were to put a letter in I think it will have to look good and any help on here to give me a little head start will be a great help.

As I may try myself first then if no joy get the keyworker from the disabilities team involved and maybe my MP too who have been a great help in the past.

Any suggestions of what to add in the letter to request the blue badge ?

Cheers all. :thumbs:

Di. xx

go for it di, just put about yr sons got no sense with road safety and i would ask yr keyworker just to put in a note 4 u im sure they would

goodluck

love donnaxxxxxx

Thank you hun. :thumbs:

I will give it my best shot and contact the keyworker too........think it must be worth trying. :D

Will let you know how it goes, cheers again. :thumbs:

Di.

xxx

hi i am registered disabled with heart disease, severe asthma and epilepsy im on mid care low mob dla and my son has autism and i got turned down for a blue badge pls pls advise im sooo frustrated,can i appeal please??

hi i am registered disabled with heart disease, severe asthma and epilepsy im on mid care low mob dla and my son has autism and i got turned down for a blue badge pls pls advise im sooo frustrated,can i appeal please??

Try your local CAB or Welfare Rights, if you have no joy then contact your local MP who should be able to help you. Does your son get mobility allowance for his autism? If he gets higher rate he should get one no problem, if it is lower rate you might be able to ask for special consideration, especially as you also have a disability.

I'm 18 years old and dypraxic, and just passed my driving test after learnign for 2 years and having 4 attempts at it! The problem is when it comes to parking I get really panicky because I feel like I'm getting in everyones way when I'm trying to park in a small space.... The problem is this then makes parking harder which makes me panic more and i end up sitting in the middle of the carpark crying my eyes out

Another issue I've found with driving it that when I'm driving and something unexpected happens I start panicking again... and in some places such as the middle of busy towns there is no where to easily stop to calm myself down.

We have looked at applying for a blue badge but cannot find any catergory on their forms they I fit into. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi, I wrote a letter with my application for my son explaining why I thought I needed a badge for him and how much difference it would make to us. HV wrote a letter supporting my application. We got a badge. Maybe you could ask your doctor or another proffesional to suport your application? Good luck.

hi, thanks for your replies i will look into this more, yes my son has also got dla higher care and lower mobility where as im on mid care low mobility i am trying a joint (well for him but strongly mentioning myself also) lol application now. ill keep you posted many thanks x

Who do I contact to get the forms for this. Mite stop me having heart failure every time ds is out of the car in a carpark!!!!!

Who do I contact to get the forms for this. Mite stop me having heart failure every time ds is out of the car in a carpark!!!!!

I contacted my local county council bm

I contacted my local county council bm

Thanx il do that. I have kittens when im near roads n esp carparks!!

The application for my son was turned down, I got it 2 days ago. I am so disappointed. He gets higher rate for care component and low for mobility.

I don't know what to do now.

hi v1971 im sorry too hear u were turned down reece is on high rate care and low rate disability and he got one i would try again my gp wrote a letter too them and i also sent some information from his peadeatrician with it as well

goodluck

love donnaxxxx

it will b worth it in the end didnt think reece would get one

and it has helped loads took alot of stress out of us goin out

goodluck

llove donnaxxxx

I didnt get one, Mine gets medium care and low mobilty, however I have one for my youngest who has heart problems, so as long as he is with us thats ok, but latley with all the probs I have had with DS I could really use one just for him. Enid

maybe, if I ever get the time, but its soo annoying how its different in every area, it makes you think its just its just up to a " worker" who says yes or no depending on frame of mind!! Enid

What gets me is that our children are actually in many ways 10 times worse for unpredictability than shall we say a disabled person who has difficulty walking or operate a wheelchair. Our children are prone to spontanious behaviour so running across a road quickly with no thought is easily done, and with hardly any warning to motorists on the road. When was the last time you saw a disabled person run across the road, wheelchair or otherwise without any motorist not having time to see them ?

I do not mean to be nasty about them as their difficulties are very real but to me the balance should be addressed even if by issuing a different colour pass. I mean I don't even mind paying for the ticket but I do mind not being able to use a disabled parking space or other spaces that disabled badge holders can use just because the beaurocrats deem my son capable of walking and therefore is not hazardous to himself or other people.

They do not know my son at all so how can they make those judgements.

I think its time we all stood up and pushed for some more help even if its in the creation of a different colour badge that allows us to use all the rights a blue badged disabled person has even if we still have to pay for the ticket.

Am fed up with this as last year I even had to inform my local council about what was happening with regards to the blue badge scheme cos they didn't have a clue !! This was a bout the new directive about whether they could let people with behavioural problems and the ilk to be able to apply for a blue badge.. yes we know why they drag their heels.. Think I may go off and ring them now and see what gives !!

Well done to all those who have applied and been fortunate especially with the children on middle rate as my son is...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/acce...uebadgeelightml

found this whilst trawling.. there is a bit about the blue badge and autism and how helpful it would be if there were certain changes made to eligibility of it..

Am off to phone my coulncil just to see if they have had that confounded directory yet from last Serptember !!! lol and they said they would put my son on a list and inform us what happens... yup reckon that list was well and truly filed !!!! gr

Hi, just to say I was turned down as ds gets middle rate care and no mobility, GP does not know ds (apart from ear infections) so I phoned and asked if a health proffesional that knew my son very well with regard to his autism could write a letter of support of my application. This was agreed. My hv who knows ds very well and understands the difficulty we have with tantrums,running off, no sence of danger ect ect wrote to support my app.

Ds got badge.

It has made a huge difference to me. As mentioned on this thread by others, it has never been about paying for a ticket, just the fact it makes life that little bit easier when out and about.

Good Luck

Lin

Well it seems as if my council just doesn't have a clue. They are so rigid in their refusals and acceptances.. my son gets middle rate care and low rate mobility and now I await a form.. and will go from there - I wish I still had the social worker now but we gave her up when she couldn't offer us any real help.. Having said that I still might phone her up and ask her if she would write a letter.

Its flaming mad how if you were to ask different councils what their policies on the blue badge scheme is you will find that they each interpret it differently.. I wonder if my council is Aspie !!! cos it seems to follow it by the letter.

Well we can but try.. and then fight and fight some more.. heres hoping I do not fight much. my son gets a taxi to school courtesy of his statement cos he can't use the buses well not 3 as he would have to. So maybe this will help add extra clout. :pray:

hi everyone well its now the next year and guess what?? !! no blue badge!! this is a nightmare can anyone pls tell me who nthey reccomend as a good person to write a cover letter for me to enclose with the form as i am going to reapply! incase you didnt read my last post i wote " my son aged 6 gets dla high care low mob, i get dla mid care low mob and was turned down for a blue badge.

happy new year to all by the way! hope you all survived christmas and new year and the hair is growing bak lol ! luv ya all x