Sign in to follow this  
Einstein

Obsessed with certain TV programmes

My 6 year old son has Asperger's syndrome and every now and again he gets "obsessed" by a particular tv programme and has to watch it time and time again.

At the moment it is "Kids Next Door" from Cartoon Network, Ed Edd and Eddy, The Boom Crew and Chowlin Showdown (something like that anyway).

Its beginning to dominate his life at home and it dominates his every topic of conversation!

Does anyone else's child get "fixated" by a particular programme or TV Character.

A few weeks ago it was Star Wars and he "had" to have every light saber in ever colour and model on the market and now they are collecting dust in his bedroom!

I wish Henry (5) would pick a TV character, for months he has been obsessed by "Admiral Horatio Nelson", He also likes other famous heros such as Winston Churchill.

My ASD son loves watching golf on TV - much to his daddy's delight! If they both had their way they would be watching golf all day and everyday - em I think not!

Oh my goog gawd yes!! :wacko:

My little monkey can and will talk endlessly about a tv characture or show, he will recite what was said, word-for-word,

As a mummy, you learn to smile and nod - :wub::D

Maisie has been obsessed with Cartoon Network for approx 18 months now and it rules her life! She does nothing but quote from the many programmes she has seen over and over again. Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends and Ed, Edd and Eddy are the two most 'quoted'! If she was allowed to she would watch Cartoon Network from first thing in the morning until very late at night. If anyone dares to change channel she will have a dicky fit lasting anything up to 30 minutes. It's even reached the point now where if we're out she will ask if we can go home to watch tv every other minute.

She also says the dialogue along with the characters and is word perfect!

The one thing I have noticed is whenever a new cartoon starts, like when the Boom Crew started she doesn't like the change and gets annoyed whenever its on until its no longer new, a week or so later.

Understand totally this one, Jamies obssessed with cricket and would watch it 24/7 if we let him and I thought it would stop in the winter (silly me) cos now its australian cricket, I wish he would go on to something else cos I think its like watching paint dry, although my husband doesnt seem to mind!!

Price drop TV alternated with Quiz Call - :wacko:

and we're fast running out of batteries in the remote as J likes to make the red light flash on the telly!

We've still got episodes of 'Dynamo' on tape from about 4 years ago - I considered re-using the tapes but then J asked to watch one a week ago!

Near miss that!

My son likes Dick and Dom and now he's introduced my daughter to it as well. They keep shouting "Bogeys!!!" all the time. :unsure: Not the best social skills training. :wacko:

Oh yeah!

Scooby Doo

Mystery Hunters

Dr. Who

To name just a few

The worst was when she was little and it was Barney the Dinosaur - we had to sit and sing all the songs with those cheesy American kids on the show - "Oh gee Barney"

Louis is obsessed with ANY shopping channels, and 'Challenge TV' - especially 'The Crystal Maze and Takeshi's Castle.

We have had to lock all of the shopping channels, or anything that has a fair amount of shopping things on it, as he started memorising all of the items that were for sale, how much they cost, and the phone numbers to call!!!! He would also memorise what channel numbers they were to be found on and at what time :hypno::wacko:

I can't even remember what channel the films are on!!!!

When I was little we didn't have a video recorder (my parents only got one when I was in my teens) but there were certain programmes that I had to watch, and I was so transfixed that I would not get up and could be left alone while watching them. My parents actually used this to their advantage, shall we say to get some 'private time' at 6:30 every Saturday night when an Italian cartoon show that I watched was on. :o

I was totally obsessed with Woody Allen films for a few years in my teens, and nowadays it's Doctor Who for me. I can usually stop myself from talking about it incessantly, only if I drink alcohol do I start monologuing again (but then my partner is usually more drunk, and I can tell him things over and over again without annoying him :) ).

my son loves the adverts-"every little helps"[tesco] and all the slogans for shops and companys,he reels the words of in conversations,

:lol: hes big fan of quiz programes like millionare,but at mo his favourite is "the paul o,grady show,hes only 4,and also loves the x factor and told me the other week,when he gets bigger he wants to be a lady on the x factor :blink::oops:

When I was young (4) I was obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine, the movie with Huckleberry Hound in it, teenage Mutant Hero Turtles :ninja: and ermm... Predator.