Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Makaton vs PECS

Hi guys

Not sure if this should be on education but thought I'd be okay posting it here. Logan (newly 2) has no verbal communication and no expressive communication atm. Our SLT initially thought Makaton would be a good thing for us to try, so I've been on the training course for that. I do basic signs when talking to Logan although he doesn't have the fine motor skills to be able to sign back. To be honest though I'm not sure if he gets the signs or if he's just responding because he's recognising it anyway (ie us asking him if he wants a drink etc).

The other thing that we thought might be more of a success is PECS. I'm quite keen on this, but the SLT is a bit worried because it doesn't encourage eye contact, whereas Makaton does.

For me though, I really just want to be able to communicate with my son. He's 2, and I still have very little way of knowing what he wants/needs and its frustrating at times, upsetting at others, for both of us. However, I dont want to make a wrong choice based on my needs rather than his.

I suppose we could try using both.

Does anyone have experience of both? How effective they are? Any other thoughts??

Lynne x

Hi Lynne,

My son Jaden is nearly 3 (ASD and non verbal) Our speech therapist also gave the options of Makaton and PECS (I also went on a makaton course) and she also stated that she didn't think J would respond to Makaton (as he doesn't copy and also has poor fine motor skills)

We started PECS a couple of months ago. At first I couldn't get my head around how he would understand it. (I posted about this on education a while ago I think)

It's hard work, (as is anything with our kids!) and it is a VERY slow process but I honestly think he now understands that he has to exchange a symbol for what he wants - especially when it's his dummy!

The speech therapist said that sometimes spoken language comes alongside but it definitely doesn't inhibit it.

We also use a bit of makaton, just to be more visual but he really doesn't resond to it.

With regards to eye contact, J's isn't too bad but he will not make eye contact when he exchanges the symbols. Personally, I don't think eye contact is the be all and end all at this stage, especially as it makes J uncomfortable (I think this is the case with most ASD kids???) but communication of some kind is.

6 months ago our health visitor said that J had very little understanding but with PECS I am starting to know what my son wants (he doesn't point either) rather than just guessing or meeting his basic needs.

I'm sorry if this is a bit jumbled up and hope it make sense!!! Didn't get much sleep last night!!

Hope this helps

Denisex

Thanks Denise

That helps loads - its really what I wanted to hear. It sounds like our wee ones are fairly similar. I agree re the eye contact thing too - to me its not really THAT important but being able to understand each other is.

Thanks for your input :-) Have you gone on any PECS training??

Lynne x

Hi Lynne,

I thought our sons sounded similar too!! :wub:

I haven't been on any training for PECS but the SLT visits us at home every few weeks and visits J at his nursery. They have been excellent with it and the day carer who looks after him 1 afternoon per week even does it with him too!!

We are still only on "Stage 1" with him and like I said I couldn't understand how he would understand it! :wacko: But we are getting there slowly. I know from his point of view it's very annoying suddenly have to "ask" for things when he was automatically given them before - so there are a fair few tantrums!!

I haven't heard of any courses but I think as long as your SLT explains everything (over and over again in my case!) and supports you it will be a turning point for both of you!

Denisex

I found both makaton and pecs not only provided a means of communication, but without a doubt precipitated Ivan's language explosion at the age of 3 1/2. I thought Ivan was going to remain non verbal, and will never forget the day when he first said 'I want' when using pecs :clap: