Sign in to follow this  
tizzmeclare

Feeling washed out!

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've not been around for a few weeks, things just seem to go from bad to worse!

A started the term with his first statement in place - a whole 20 hours of support + all the other bits, which I thought was going to be great!

Ha Ha Ha, how wrong can someone be! He has already been excluded! for a whole week. It was for not being under the control of any adult! he just wouldn't do what anyone asked...and then someone touched him, so off he went into melt down and I was called to collect him.

He is now sitting happily in his bedroom in his underpants ( clothes off - he thinks its heaven) and the SENCO told me that she has been ringing round everyone concerned as they just can't cope with him and he shouldn't be in mainstream....

What I wanted to know is...if they decide he has to go to a special needs school, will he continue at his mainstream school till a place is found, or we he stay at home with me?

Sorry for the poor little me posting.

Regards to all, tizz

p.s its not all bad news... he has a friend!

((((((((((tizzmeclare)))))))))

Have not got much to add - just wanted to let you know that I'm having similar problems - M is not excluded but doesn't want to do what she's told or be in school. She has decided that if she doesn't like school that she should go home herself - and does!!!!

:( ............oh Tizz >:D<<'> >:D<<'> , this is,nt something I,ve had experience of, but stay strong , hope your o.k. I ,m sure someone like Nellie, Carole or Annie will have the advice you need. Suzex bet they,ll be along soon.

Tizz

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Things must be hard for you right now.

It looks like things have now reached a point where his current placement under the statement is not working and this apears to be irretrivable, at least in the eyes of the school.

If you are also of the opinion that a Special School placement would be more appropriate, I think the next step would be for you to write immediately to the LEA (copied to the head of the school) to ask that an emergency review take place of his statemented provision as the placement appears to have broken down. You could also ring your staementing officer at the LEA to make them aware of tyhe situation and ask what the LEA policy is in these circumstances.

It sounds like the head will co-operate in organising a review quickly. In the meantime you need to do some research to see where you would like your son to go, and make arrangements to visit these schools. (Contact the schools directly) If there is a clear front runner and there are places you could try asking for the LEA to make emergency provision pending review of his statement and send him there as soon as is practically possible. It may well be that thay say no, but if you don't ask you don't get!

If on the other hand you feel that the current placement is right for him, you need to review with the school whay things are breaking down and what you can jointly do about it. If your son remains excluded the LEA should organise education at home until a suitable placement can be found.

Simon

thanks you two!

Just wanted to add ( thought Puffin might be intrested) that when I asked A why he wouldn't do what was asked of him, he replied...

" I don't know them mum...so that means there strangers...so i musn't do what they say!"

Makes sense to him... oh, I supose one day I'll laugh about this!

Hi Tiz, how awful for you >:D<<'> the only pearls I can offer is that as it has been a fixed term exclusion of over 2 days the LEA re-integration officer should be made aware of the situation (they might also be the exclusion officer/inclusion officer depends on the LEA) they are seperate from the SEN team, also get in touch with your EWO, as they need to be made aware of the breakdown of the situation as a matter of some urgency, they all have a responsibility for excluded pupils. Definitely go for the early review, see section 9:44 of the COP below ...

Interim Reviews

9:44 Where a school identifies a pupil with a statement of special educational needs who is at serious risk of disaffection or exclusion, an interim or early review should be called. It will then be possible to consider the pupil?s changing needs and recommend amendments to the statement, as an alternative to the pupil being excluded.

Hope this helps a bit, HHxx

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice....

A went back to school, only to get excluded again...this time for 2 weeks..ah, ah, ahhhhhhhhhh :crying:

The head has called for an emergancy review, I'm not yet aware if thats been sucessful? I'm sure I will hear soon.

Thanks for the advice mossgrove...I've got a few prospective's back and we are off to visit the first one next week! The only problem I feel now, is that the two most appropriate schools are so far away!

We went to see the doctor, who is going to write and express her thoughts about A going to a special school and is also going to re-refere A back to the consultant, as she said her voice has more clout with the LEA!

For now at least, A, is happily sitting in his bedroom in his underpants not wanting to ever go back to school!

ranting over....tizz

:( Oh tizz , sorry about the exclusion again.I hope all these experts get some provision sorted for your son, and the correct provision as well.Hugs to you all >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Suzex

Hi Tizz,

I don't know how I missed your post before :blink: . Exclusion used to be a part of everyday conversation in our house, so I know how you feel :crying:

I agree with everything that Simon and HH has suggested. Since this is the second exclusion and the Head is now requesting an emergency review, I would speak to the LEA SEN officer and fill them in (they SHOULD already be aware if the HEAD has requested the review). You need to let them know that the placement has broken down and that you also request an emergency review, and also put it in writing to them and keep copies of everything. Don't whatever you do ask for your son to be taken off the school roll or tell the LEA that you are withdrawing your son from the school, if you do, this will relinquish the LEA of responsibility to provide your son with an education. Ask the SEN officer if, while you are waiting for the review Home Tuition could be put in place. If you get on well with your Parent Partnership, speak to them FIRST as they can actually refer your son for Home Education or Education Other Than At School.

As HH said, also contact EWO, Some are very helpful. I was unlucky, I called them in January and still haven't been called back..... :wallbash:

Let us know how you get on.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Hi Guys,

Well the letter arrived this morning to inform me that a "combined pastoral support meeting and an emergency annual review" is going to take place next week.

This is probably going to sound like I'm completely dumb, but I'm not sure about how this works...is anyone able to shed some light on it for me?

ok, so we have the meeting, then what??????????? does that mean that the suggestion of A going to a special needs school is recomended to the LEA and then they decide if they will carry it out or not as the case maybe???? Because if everyone is saying that he shouldn't be in mainstream school, how can the LEA not provide A with a special needs placement???? And who the hell do all the multi-proffessional team work for?????????? people at the meeting will include: Behaviour support, Educational Psychologist, recent Dr report and outreach teacher from austic school? because if they work for the LEA, who the hell sits on the panel that does decide???????????

totally confussed, tizz

Hi Guys,

Sorry I forgot to ask,

does anyone recomend that I still write to the LEA about my concerns as well as the school informing them about the emergancy review? or should I leave it too the school?

tizz.

p.s I got A to write his own statement about school this morning and it makes very, very sad reading. I don't know if it will help, but I going to take copies of it too the meeting.

you need to write a 'parent's advice' for the review if you can - what you think about the situation and how you would like to see it resolved - this puts it all in writing so you don't forget things and helps you focus on the things you feel are important at this meeting.

I would copy both for everyone at the meeting and send copies to the LEA officer before the meeting so she is fully aware of your position as well as the school's - if you are backing each other up then all the better

Zemanski

Hi Tizz,

It sounds as though everything has already put in motion with everybody on board, which is good.

I would make notes of your concerns and where you think would be the best placement for your son, in case the meeting heads in that direction, your son's statement on his feelings should be considered at the meeting too. Do you know anybody who will be at the meeting that can give you any indication as to what ideas are being put forward? just so you can be prepared in advance.

It could be that the suggestion of a special school placement will be bought up OR more support is needed in the current school, it is hard to say until you get into the meeting.

Don't agree to anything at the meeting whatever you do. Ask for time to think things over before giving a final decision.

Oh, and can you take anybody with you to take notes?

Annie

>:D<<'>