Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

indestructable beds, any ideas?

My son has managed to break yet another bed (3rd this year)

He is 20 and doesnt bounce on the bed but does throw himself on to it and the inevitable happens.

I have tried over the years to stop him but I was fed up of spending my evening rushing up and down stairs to be met with a gleeful shriek as he did it with even more energy!

I resigned myself to buying a cheap bed frame every few months but just wondered if anyone knew of any super strength beds we could try.

cheers

Lorainexxx

Hi Loraine

David was a three bed a year guy until Terry came up with a strategy, which has so far worked. Well it's now two years since we bought a bed base. We have not found a remedy for his mattress as yet. What we did was bought a bed with a metal frame and then Terry reinforced it. We had already tried the metal frame but they buckled under David?s weight. David does not actually bounce he just throws himself at the bed and it worked every time ? one snapped bed. Terry bought the wood from B&Q and bolted it to the bed frame. I did worry that this would make the bed uncomfortable but David was fine with it. So it has worked for us. It is now two years since we bought a frame, although he needs a new mattress right now.

Carole

you could try a futon type base that doesn't have legs - we used to make them out of old palletes (which are even stronger)- scorch off the splinters with a blow torch and sand down - 2 together should be enough and if one gets broken you don't need to replace the whole lot, and sometimes only need to put in a new slat.

Zemanski

Phew I'm not the only one with this issue either then!!! :rolleyes: We are on yet another bed, we have the double joy of jumping on beds and smearing and wetting. We have gone through umpteen beds, she busts the mattress springs and wrecks the bases, we have tried metal (bent), wood (snapped) and she currently has a divan which is completely and utterly wrecked. I spent �120 on the last one too, instead of buying a cheap one, because she kept tearing waterproof sheets off and this one had a waterproof coating on one side of the mattress. She got it in about April of this year, it's wrecked. :wallbash: I've been contemplating calling British Steel to make me one out of girders :lol:

Those cots are fab but not really what we need, she is safe in her bedroom, we just need a bed which takes a LOT of abuse! As for funding, family fund have given me money for beds for her before so it's worth asking them.

might be worth getting a bed with a g'tee?

Warren Evans - expensive but very soild wooden bed frames, the slats are wide and 2 pieces of wood stacked double for each slat.

and John Lewis do a mattress that is very like a Tempur visco elastic foam mattress

JL Impressions mattresses also expensive but built to last.

it doesn't make for a bouncy bed, more doughy

-

Katya

Edited by Blue-Kat

Thank you so much for all your ideas. I should have posted about this three beds ago!

Now have lots of options and will investigate them all . I also had a look on the Ikea site. They make a futon type base (thanks Zemanski) called the Vestby for �15.20! Only problem is we are no where near a branch but worth thinking about.

Thanks again

Lorainexxx

IKEA mattresses are all foam too, no springs to break.......... hmmmmm B)

Hi Mandy

I didnt get as far as looking at the mattresses. I was overcome with excitement over the bedframe (sadly it doesnt take much) The mattresses look brilliant, as you say no springs to break.

I just wish we had one nearer to us so that I could have a proper look.

Dont hold your breath but perhaps weve got this prob solved!!! (loud cheering and flag waving)

Love Lorainexxx >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Loraine

it might be worth doing a search on ebay for the ikea futon base and mattress.

you can sometimes pick up bargains, as on the whole large items are furniture are collect only, so less people are bidding against you.

I got an IKEA sky bed, mattress, desk and wardrobe for my daughter on ebay for �56. I then paid �50 to get it collected by a man in a van !

it was still a bargain :D

in my favourite searches , you can set up what you are looking for, then ebay emails you when someone lists the item !

good luck in the hunt for new indestructable bed !

-

Katya

Edited by Blue-Kat

well then. obviously thats what she should do.

Edited by Auriel

Get him to buy the next bed. If work is an issue then rather than simply buying the bed for him, give the money to him in 'exchange' for a few chores around the house/cleaning the car/etc and with the sense of ownership he will then earn with his reward he may well have more care; he will learn the value of looking after his things.

Of course you probably get him to do chores any way and you have no problem getting the bed for him but if you do it in such a way that it makes him 'think' he's earning the money and therefore buying his own bed, you may very well solve the problem.

Have you tried freecycle? It's a website where people ask for things they need or offer things for free. There are always beds on my local one. Some people will deliver but mostly you have to collect I think. :)

Hi,

Ikea do home delivery on some of their products.

We have a bed by Flexa, which is very sturdy. It has had my son (who weighs at least 12 stone) throwing himself on it regularly and i can't believe it hasn't broken. It has lasted for 11 years and is still going strong.

They are pretty pricey, but i have managed to buy 2 more of them on e-bay for about £30 each for my younger children.

Loulou x