Sign in to follow this  
ceecee

Sweating and tiredness

I was just wondering if anyone knew if people with aspergers sweat more than other people..

tired all the time.Is this common in people with aspergers?Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Edited by ceecee

Hi ceecee -

Don't actually know if there's any direct link, but indirectly I would think 'nervous energy' could contribute to both of these things. People on the spectrum can find all sorts of 'every day' interactions quite stressful, and high stress levels would contribute directly to both.

Hope that's food for though, at least, and that someone comes along with something a bit less speculative to offer :lol:

L&P

BD :D

hi

I totally agree about being tired all of the time, my son was diagnosed with asperges 6 months ago and he always seems so tired, I think he uses up so much energy up trying to fit in all of the time ,so maybe when he is older he will probably sweat more than others from using that extra energy.

s

I have AS, and I do sweat more than most people.

I never had a problem with tiredness until I was 20. I used to require very little sleep. My mum said I was an insomniac, but I wasn't tired, I just slept less. Since I was 20 though, I have been really tired. I have had a blood test to try to identify a cause, but I don't have the results yet. I don't think it's connected with AS though, otherwise I would always have been tired.

My son, who has Asperger's, definitely sweats a lot. He always did, even when a toddler. IF he ran a little he would be bathed in sweat, and when he filled his nappy he would go red and the sweat would run down his face. At night he was always bathed in sweat. Now he's nearly eight and he still 'runs hot', as my mother-in-law calls it. He has huge co-ordination/dyspraxia problems and I put a lot of it down to the fact that he has to physically exert himself much much more than the average person just to do commonplace things, like walk upstairs. Sometimes even a short walk will leave him with sweat on his nose and upper lip.

His younger brother, nearly six, has ASD but hardly ever sweats - sometimes at night or if he has a fever. On the contrary, he seems to 'run cold'.

I wondered if it had anything to do with their body mass - the older AS son is a big, well-covered lad, with legs like tree trunks, although not fat at all; while the other is a spindly thing, all skin and bone with thin little arms and legs.

Both of mine sweat bucket-fulls as we say up in the north east. It can be minus ten outside but mine will still be asking for the windows to be open because they are hot. I am being quite serious. If Matthew runs around then his hair is sticking to his head and the sweat is running down his face.

Also the tiredness is very interesting. I have noticed, especially in Matthew, that he has bursts of energy when he is very hyper but when that has past he is well and truly spent and can take quite some time to bounce back. This also happens when he is stressed. It happened on Friday evening after Boys Brigade. One of the leaders has left - mega change for Matthew as it was his favourite leader. The new leader is another femail leader and I have worked out that she is determined to make her mark. I hoped that by speaking to her on Friday before the session and explaining that Matthew was already having problems coping with the change that she would have taken this on board. Sadly she did not. They were making gifts for Hallowen and Matthew asked if he could colour his gift box in at home. He is a perfectionist and like to take his time. He was told NO - no coloured in picture no sweets for Mum. Now in the past Matthew would of blew there and then but he really does try to keep it in these days. But when we picked him up he was so stressed that on his return home he wrapped himself in his duvet and just lay on the floor for two solid hours. He looked dreadful. Once it had passed he was fine. But this is happening more and more and I am pleased to hear that he is not alone with this. It is reassuring at least to know that it's not just him.

Carole

Temperature regulation difficulties is a known factor in autism. It's maybe connected to a malfunctioning metabolism and serotonin levels in the blood. The jury's still 'out', I believe.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if people with aspergers sweat more than other people.I have noticed both my brother and I seem to sweat much more than anyone else is.We both suffer from aspergers but mine is mildre.

Also I just wondered why we were both abnormally tired all the time.Is this common in people with aspergers?Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

I'd have your thyroids checked if I were you. Thyroid problems can lead to such symptoms and seem to run in families where AS, ADHD or certain mood disorders (Bipolar) are present.

Although sweating is a sign of hyperactive thyroid and fatigue a sign of hypo, from personal accounts it seems there are often mixed symptoms. (See "Congratulations, it's Asperger Syndrome")

Edited by Noetic

Thanks Noetic I will cetainly check this out. I have a multi nodular goitre and my Mum has an over active gland. I did know that this runs in families and that families with thyroid problems sometimes also have autism in the family - but I will check this out now.

thanks again

Carole

Hi :)

My ASD son do not sweat much but his NT sister use to especialy before she was DX with Thyrotoxicosis, and when she was younger, but that was nearly certainly connected to her various food allergy and sensitivity.

Malika