Sign in to follow this  
Malika

A good paper from the awarness conference

Hi to all :)

Just been through this paper who reflect what we would like school and professionals to finaly understand. :wallbash:

The author is the mother of two ASD children and knows what she is talking about.

http://www.awares.org/conferences/show_pap...26&full_paper=1

This is from:

Carole Rutherford

Autism-in-Mind

This is very encouraging that such paper was part of the conference :thumbs: . By the way the conference as been extended until the 11/11/2005.

Malika.

Hi Carole

Great paper (as if you didn't already know). :dance:

My husband and I were nodding our heads all the way through reading it. :clap:

I just wish I had known about this site when my son was younger and getting into lots of trouble at school.

I am sure our family would have been a lot calmer if we had had someone else to talk to and understood what my son was going through. :(

I just wish I had sent the the correct version - minus heps of errors :o Never mind it's no good crying over split milk is it?

I have to say that I have actually been quite disappointed by the lack of professionals at the conference. OK this week and next they were not billed to be there but some of them were very thin on the ground.

The parents have been brill though :lol:

Carole

Carole,

That paper was EXCELLENT and I hope to god that lots of people read it (especially education bods). :thumbs::clap::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I worried sooooo much about the social side of things when we de-registered my son

but, hand on heart I can honestly say that he has gained great confidence in this area.

It was only today that my sister-inlaw visited, she has not been round for a while, she was absolutely gobsmacked at the change in him, she said she could not believe the difference in him in his interaction.

He has also been to quite a few kids parties lately, he has ran around with the kids laughing and playing and unbelievably not one meltdown, where as before he would just stand there with his hands on his head bursting into tears, he obviously still gets things wrong on these occassions but his reaction is now soooo much calmer.

I myself have been working on his receptive language skills, his social skills, comic strip conversations etc....

I think that he actually enjoys the interaction now but, it is for a level of time that he can cope with and I'm sure that the more positive interactions he has will encourage him to want more.

WELL DONE

Brook :clap:

Hi Carole :thumbs:

I have seen the little mistake but really what a great paper :notworthy: , as I did not know you were the same Carole you can be sure it was not just flattery. ;) We need more of this to go to all the professionals concern thanks Carole to express so well all the problems we have. :thumbs:

Malika.

it is the same one on the resources forum? again my comment stands. worthy effort, but it is not a clinical or properly researched (as there is no bibilography and it is all based on personal experience) "paper" but a personal article that many (in this forum) have found insulting and gerneralises austim on the whole. It is, although, a fair recitation of many parent's experience of the education system and all it's dark spots.

nvapid

I think your criticisms are harsh.

It is not a formal research paper in an academic sense and never set out to be, so I don't think a table of refereces etc. is needed. I think Carole makes some excellent points in the paper , and I feel you have exaggerated the degree of offence called.

We need to have an environment where people are encouraged to share their experiences, and criticism of any contributions should be kept as constructive as possible.

Simon

Well done Carole i thought that was an excellent paper :dance: i just hope that enough professionals take the time to read it as so few dont seem to be bothered :shame: Well done :thumbs::thumbs:

jayne xx

1. its an "article" not a "paper" as a paper must by definition be researched.

2. this is a personal account who's tone intends to define Austim and does so incorrectly - which can effectively do more harm than good. The same as a incomplete study where all the factors have not been explored on Autism Spectrum Disorders can effect the way the world views Autism and ALL its widely varing brances.

3. check further up this section under "pinned" articles for Autism and Socalisation and you can read the many comments there.

As an ASD, with children who are ASD, I am going to make by definition unsolicatlly impolitic statemnts which although unpopular, will be factual. And I do stand on my previous comment:

carole - is this paper based on any written research? I would be interested in the resources, or is it on personal experience?

In some senses I agree with Gilbo. By repeated refering to "autism" you have generalised your subject - which is too wide an area to speack so specifically of, especially in the more extreme autistic cases. ASD's CAN socalize, but often only with adults or those younger than themselves. Asperger's do have socalization issues, but they can vary in etreme. I would suggest you review the paper either and personalise it more, replacing "autism" with "my AS child" or back it up with quoted resources.

thank you for writing the paper. it is better to have written something than nothing, and look at the discussion it has generated. talking is a good thing!

As adults fighting for the rights of children in a world which demands we know the topic better than the experts and whom the government through the DfES defines parents AS the experts; do we blindly luad all attempts at education - even the ones who may not have gotten it correct? Is critisism not permitted? Or are we only a self congratulatory body of egotists?

the "article" refered to way a good account of PERSONAL experience. Unfortunately it confused full Autism for Austim Spectrum which are two very different disorders as defined by the medical profession, the government, the DfES and all LEAs.