Sign in to follow this  
TylersMum

Hysterical Laughter and Ungrateful Mummy

Tyler has recently taken to laughing, and I MEAN laughing, in total hysterics at nothing at all. I imagine he is remembering something funny from his fave film at the moment (Peter Pan).

At first, 3 weeks ago, I thought it was soooo endearing, to hear him so happy is wonderful. Every now and again he will say "it's so funny Mummy" or whoever is with him and carry on.

This weekend has been the pinnacle. He has been hysterically laughing since 6.30 am every day - its the first sign he is awake - until he falls asleep around 8.30, constantly.

I am going out of my mind. I don't want to tell him off for laughing but it's absolutely killing me now.

Any suggestions? Distractions aren't working........

:hypno::hypno::hypno::hypno::hypno::hypno::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by TylersMum

Hi have you tried laughing back might not be the correct thing to do but I know when Char crys for no reason constantly if I cry back he stops and doesn't know what to do.He then forgets he was crying in the first place.

Lisa x

P.S doesn't always work but worth a try

:)

TylersMum, You're not alone! My 8 year old does this constantly, and when I ask him what he's laughing at he's laughing so much he can't tell me! Sometimes it makes me laugh, it's just so ludicrous, then other times it really winds me up :o

He laughs at the weirdest things and anything can start him off. The bin men shouting across the street to each other had him laughing for about 2 days; if I sneeze he laughs for hours; my partner did a really loud yawn the other day and that set him off... :unsure: And then there are the times when he just starts laughing and I can't for the life of me work out what, if anything, he finds so funny.

Is it an ASD thing? Or do you think maybe us parents just don't get it?? :lol:

Lauren

Edited to say that between my laughing 8 yo, and my 11 yo who spends most of his time moaning and crying I'm almost on the verge of developing a split personality!

Edited by Lauren

Phew! So I'm not alone!

Lauren, I think it must be an ASD thing because I've not come across it before, my 3 yo ds is also being driven to distraction with it.

I feel so ungrateful that I have a happy (but incredibly irritating at times) little boy!!!

Edited by TylersMum

With my neurotic hat on today, I have just researched this and don't think it applies to Tyler. There is no history of it in either family (unlike the ASD traits) and he doesn't have mood swings - he is always happy, just sometimes it is deliriously so!!!!

H (7) also gets really loud bouts of laughing sometimes at something but quite often just when he is thinking about someting he thinks is funny, quite often I hear himrolling with laughter in his bed before he goes to sleep. Can be quite enbarassing in publi :lol::lol: c- I don't have any solutions if you ask H he will tell you a long complicated story that is not at all funny !

My son doesn't so this, but a friends son, who's 10 and has ASD does. His mum says it can sometimes be a sign of stress - he's just reacting inapropriatley (ie; laughing instead of crying or becoming angry). She said, he usually stops when the cause of the stress has been found out or he has a cry and released the anxiety.

Not sure if that helps..... xx

T has started this kind of thing recently- 'inappropriate' laughter and crying. Just starts doing one or the other, with no outside stimulus.

His paed says it's quite common for ASD kids to behave this way- whether as a stress release mechanism or something else, I don't know. :unsure:

But he's usually fine within a few minutes. I thought the laughter was bad until he started the crying as well- that's so upsetting for all of us.

When my daughter was autistic she did the hysterical laughter thing for no apparent reason often from the moment she opened her eyes.Unfortuately I think it is just an asd thing.He might stop doing it in a few days.She did I think then it was on to something new.!!!

When my daughter was autistic

Hi ceecee. Just wondering if this was a typing error when you said 'when my daughter was autistic'. ?? :unsure:

Just curious

Lauren :)

Edited by Lauren

Hi Lauren

No it wasn't a typing error when I said she was autistic.She was for six months then she recovered.If you go into the post on the general discussion board at the moment about the mmr booster vaccination you can read her story.Hope i didn't get your hopes us.Best wishes

ceecee

ceecee. Thanks. No you didn't get my hopes up I. My youngest child was much more autistic for a year after his MMR vaccination, consequently he hasn't had the booster! I didn't have dx for him when his booster was due but because of the history and his brother I chose not to let him have it. I'm not looking for a cure, I'm all for alleviating problems but I love their differences at the same time as trying to find interventions for their problems.

Thanks

Lauren