Sign in to follow this  
julia

citalopram ??

Hi all . . . just wanted any feedback on this medication. My 14 year old son is finding it impossible to leave the house, this has deteriorated so much that he could not even come out to celebrate my birthday (a trip to the cinema). Its the first time he has admitted he has a problem, as he actually said to me 'I won't be able to cope', he was upset as he knew I would be disappointed.

He has never gone out alone anyway, but would on occasions come out with us, and this has now stopped. He is so engrossed with Magic The Gathering cards, he finds it hard to pull away from them. His rigidity is extreme !! He also is not attending school and has been home educated since January.

He suffers from occasional bouts of depression that last for only about a day or so but not to frequent .

I hope this gives you some idea of my sons problems , do you think this medication will help with his symptoms ??

Also do you have any Meds that you have found helped in a similar situation ??I feel sad we have had to come to this but something has to be done !!!

i look forward to your replys

julia

Edited by julia

Hi Julia,

Citalopram is an SSRI and so of the same family of drugs as Prozac.

I took Citalopram for about 8 months till ugust of this year. If it works it does help with obsessive behaviour and rigidity of thought and behaviour but it doesn't work for everyone. It also helps with social phobias and depression. When I was taking it I lost the constant screwed up feeling that I had in my stomach, I found it much easier to deal with situations and to deal with other people, I stopped having panic attacks and I did find that I was less obssessive and less prone to social phobia.

However, antidepressants effect people in different ways so I can't say that the same would be true for your son.

My son and husband both take Prozac and have found similar benefits from taking it.

PM me if you have any specific questions I can help you with.

I took this for 6 months and found it really helpful. It helped to lift my depression and anxiety. After 6 months it stopped working, but this seems to happen with me and antidepressants, and some people take it for years and still find it helps.

You should be aware that when you first start taking citalopram, it can cause anxiety to increase. This should die down after a week or so though.

Hi,

I have been taking citalopram at 40 mg for the last 2 years and I feel my normal self again.I have been diagnosed with G.A.D (generalized anxiety disorder)

This came to light after my son was born and I had post natal depression at first.I have suffered with anxiety all my life and during my teens it became so bad that I tried to commit suicide and afterwards self harmed for years.My Mum didn't believe in medication and kept it very quiet as she was ashamed and frightened for me I think.Personally I think that if I had had some medication when I was younger that it would have stopped the years of fear and mistakes that I had made (turning to alcohol etc). I am now 33 and feel the best I have felt ever, I actually feel that I am enjoying my life now, without the constant stress and worry that eventually wipes you out.It may be that this particular drug doesn't suit your son (I had different ones before this and had bad reactions) but anxiety is something that literally drains life out of you and anything that helps is worth it.

Hope everything goes okay,

Fi

xx

Excellent stuff!! - worked wonders for my severe PND 4 years ago. Prozac just sent me into cloud cuckoo land but citalopram just seemed to take the edge of the main symptoms and allowed me to get my head round getting my life sorted.

Sam

x

Well i would like to thank everyone for their replys !!!

Its unbeliveable !!!! my son is on 5 mg at mo and within less than a week things had changed !!!! For the better , His obsessions had calmed right down and he said he was bored !!! This was music to my ears !!! He has never been bored as his obsession with his cards kept him busy nearly all day !! He could not go out not even with us let alone on his own !!! he does now I dropped him off in the town and he talks to a young chap who sell cards and collectables in a little shop , he is wearing different cloths ( not one of his t-shirts six of the same design and colour !! ) He even put a coat on today !!!! he has never worn one before as he has not liked them !! He even went to get a Mc Donalds when he was down the town !!! PLUS - - - - - - -Icing on the cake Popped into superdrug to buy a new type of GELL he'd seen advertised !!!!!!!

!I welled up as i dropped him off and saw him walking alone in town !!!!!!!!! Its like your childs first day at school, feeling / School play !!! you get my drift !

He even went round a couple of friends houses who enjoy his cards !! Now he would never have had the time for that or even want to go !!

He has been on them for two weeks now and i feel like i have a new son at the mo !!! I will enjoy this for as long as it lasts !! I feel it has made him not so serious or focused on his cards and opened the door to other things !! He smiles more and shown some affection towards me !! ( this stopped long ago, teenager and all that !!!)

Its so uplifting to hear a good one isnt it !!!

Got to go now

julia

xxxxxx

Edited by julia

This has helped my brother loads. And now after 21 years he is having small conversations with me. :D