Sign in to follow this  
TylersMum

Living with Autism

The family have between them writeen three books. The eldest boy Luke was the boy who wrote Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome and his mother wrote Multocolored Mayhem, which is an excellent book. There have been whisperngs that Jacqui 'Ghost wrote' much of Lukes books, but I donlt know if it is true or not.

The documntary still pops upon Cable/Sky from time to time and is well worth watching.

The best it about the documentary is that it manages to be a lot more positive that the 'look how bad things arefor this family' style of documentary that we have become used to.

Luke and Jacqui ofen give talks too. I have not been myself but I have heard good reports.

Simon

I had a sneak peak at the site for a while this afternoon and Luke seems very confident. I suppose for me it is a reassurance that these kids with AS and ASD can, to lesser and greater degrees depending on severity, lead independent lives.

That was one of my biggest fears for Tyler.

If you read the acknowledgements to Luke's Freaks book Jacqui is given credit 'for helping me so much with this book and life in general'.

I don't think Luke's final year in school after this documentary was a very happy one.

I heard he was heavily bullied at school(as most Aspies are) and left at sixteen. His mother said of this that he had already written two books, but left school with not a single qualification. She said it was a disgrace and I agree with her. I'm glad he's much happier.

I don't think anyone should struggle or suffer to get paper qualifications. If your kid hates school or the school refuses to take bullying seriously then get your kid out. All that theory about a waste of a good brain if one doesn't get paper qualifications is a load of tosh.