Sign in to follow this  
dobbie

Senco or not !!

My lad has DCD to which his school has been told by the health professional to employ strategies for ASD or Aspergers.

Today he has come home with a pictograph of rules to follow for his circle of friends the context of which goes like this:-

I will listen to my circle of friends.

My circle of friends wants to help me stay out of trouble.

My teachers want me to stay out of trouble.

My parents want me to stay out of trouble.

If I listen to my circle of friends I will stay out of trouble.

If I listen to my circle of friends my teachers will be happy.

If I listen to my circle of friends my paretns will be happy.

Has she missed the point or what ?? we wondered if she was up to the job when we first met her. :wallbash:

Comments please

So she thinks that circle of friends is for staying out of trouble :blink:

I always thought they were for helping eachother, playing and positive interactions,

NOT for staying out of trouble :unsure:

Maybe a little understanding and strategies put into place would be a much better way to go, also circle of friends could be used to help teach social skills.

All I can make out of this is what 'everyone' else wants and not what is required to help your son whatsoever.

If I do this and that it will keep everyone else happy !! er, excuse me, where is the mention of your son being 'happy'.

Yes, she has definitely missed the point and I am not surprised that you are doing alot of this :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Brook >:D<<'>

er.....

........ which circle of friends?

I'd be happy if com had one good friend to support him at school :(

what are they doing to actually help him build relationships with peers?

Zemanski

He has'nt got any friends, he 12 by the way, its the schools idea to trying to help him make friends, the one they set up last year got of to a reasonable start , but they seemed to be just reporting his responses to other childrens name calling etc and that just him even more stressed out.

The school seems to thinks he is the problem, as pooosed to a child with problems, as he takes up too much of their time. This by the way is from a Christian based school, that is very highly thought of locally.

a 'good' reputation unfortunately usually means good exam results and not necessarily much else.

if I hear our deputy head tell me about the school's 'excellence' one more time when I'm trying to explain Com's difficulties, I'll knock his block off :wallbash:

personally, if a school is incapable of understanding and meeting its children's needs it is not a good school.

Com is in his second year of 12 (work that one out - he doesn't want to be a teenager :lol: ) and so far the school has failed him badly but it is getting better after a long and bitter fight (lots more provision and training in place this year)

have you tried contacting the advisor or team for autism - they can sometimes be very useful in persuading a school to cooperate

Zemanski

We have some parents in our local group who have children in a Church School and they do have some very strange ideas. A circle of friends can work if it?s done for the correct reasons and with the right circle of children. Acting as junior policeman and recording everything, much as you would gather in evidence tobe used against someone, is not the correct reason. I also question the use of something like a circle of friends for an older child and 12 is older. It is usually something they adopt in a infant or junior school

Would you like to take my paper on autism and socalisation into school :devil: I do not suppose they will read it but if they do they will hopefully see that their current level of understanding and empathy towards your son is almost zero. :(

Carole

a 'good' reputation unfortunately usually means good exam results and not necessarily much else.

All institutionalised education exists for are machines for passing exams. Schools are only interested in their position in league tables so couldn't really care less about anything other than GCSE or SATS results.

personally, if a school is incapable of understanding and meeting its children's needs it is not a good school.

Absolutely spot on.